Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
keeping mature media alive while I cycle?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)17:45    Post subject: keeping mature media alive while I cycle? Reply with quote

I just got some mature media from my fish store, how do I keep the bacteria alive while I cycle my tank?
Diggy5
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should put the media in your filter, as the bacteria on the used media will accelerate the cycling of your tank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats where it is right now, I'm just wondering how to keep it alive so it keeps feeding my new filters. I have been told it will die if I don't keep it fed, then I won't have anything to cycle my tank?
Diggy5
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, the bacteria does need something to feed on, thats where fish come in. Fish waste will provide what is needed for the bacteria to survive. Now you want to start slow of course, 2 maybe 3 fish at first just to get it going. Then the next week a few more fish, and so on and so forth. By adding the used media, you have basicly cycled your tank. Cycling is the process of building colonies of bacteria that will breakdown the ammonia thats in the tank. The ammonia is caused from fish waste.

Hope this helps!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh thats what I'm doin right now, how often should I check water parameters,

and at what levels should I do a water change?

I heard cycleling with fish wil take longer where as if you cycled it with pure ammonia, when the cycle is done you can just stock it?
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have matured media you may not go through cycle at all. Especially if you add only few fish at a time. You may have a cycled tank already. You just have to add new fish slowly to allow the filter media catch up with the fish load.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: