Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Keeping a Corry in an unfiltered tank
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lily
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)6:42    Post subject: Keeping a Corry in an unfiltered tank Reply with quote

I was a bit gutted the other day when all three of my Skunk Corries in the 22 litre tank died. All three were fine in the morning then I found 2 dead in the afternoon and the final one that night. I bought 4 originally and one died the next day, but I've never had a Corrie die before (I've had 2 for two years) and I was wondering if I'd realised they were sick, how I could treat them. (The other occupants of the tank are a male Betta and a couple of Amano Shrimps, who are all fine).

My hospital tank is a heated but unfiltered large square vase (12 x 12 x 12ins) in which I've successfully treated several Betta, but would it be OK to treat a sick Corry in an unfiltered tank and if so how long could you leave one in there?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can, but you will need to do daily water changes, what I would do is use water from the main tank to do the water changes, then top the main tank up with fresh de-chlorinated water.

I often use a system like this for quarentine tanks or fry raising.

This also works for emergancy treatment/hospital setups, but sometimes it's wise to use the fresh de-chorinated water in the hospital tank, if you aren't sure about the cause of the illness.

I also keep filter media from spare filters, inside my external cannister filters, so I can set up a cycled tank when needed, but for quarentine and fry raising the daily water changes from the main tank get the fish used to the tank water anyway.

Bob
Lily
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, I have a fry tank at the moment with a sponge filter, I do water changes every day, but it may be worth putting some of the tank water in when they're a bit bigger.
Lily
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info, I have a fry tank at the moment with a sponge filter, I do water changes every day, but it may be worth putting some of the tank water in when they're a bit bigger.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: