Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cleaning the new 35 gallon?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rainbowbrat23
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)2:27    Post subject: Cleaning the new 35 gallon? Reply with quote

I just bought a 35 gallon tank from a guy off of craigs list. How do I go about cleaning it? Should I clean it? It still has gravel and a small amount of water in it.
Here is the pic

Thanks for your time!!
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

rinse the gravel and wipe it down with a clean cloth should be all you need to do. just remember not to use any detergents. after that, you're pretty much ready to cycle the tank.

lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would they sell it to you with the gravel and some water in it? The gravel I guess I understand, but the water???
rainbowbrat23
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking because they couldn't empty it all the way?? I dunno!! Maybe too lazy to empty it all the way? lol

Thanks for the advice! Someone else toldd me to use bleach...so I was in search of second opinions!!

The water is were the gravel is...not full of water or anything
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use bleach, but I wouldn't. You'd have to make sure you cleaned it REALLY well... I think someone told me once you can soak the tank in a bathtub filled with a water with a high concentration of dechlorinator and that makes it safe.
Also, you probably shouldn't try to move it with water in it. You can siphon the rest of the water out pretty easily, which should help prevent structural damage until you get it where you want it.
Finally, maybe this is my opinion, but you might consider investing in new gravel. The stuff that's in there is... interesting to say the least. Most fish look better against at least a dark gravel, and in my opinion it makes them feel a little safer. Can you imagine if your carpet was that colour? Shocked
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:
You could use bleach, but I wouldn't. You'd have to make sure you cleaned it REALLY well... I think someone told me once you can soak the tank in a bathtub filled with a water with a high concentration of dechlorinator and that makes it safe.
Also, you probably shouldn't try to move it with water in it. You can siphon the rest of the water out pretty easily, which should help prevent structural damage until you get it where you want it.
Finally, maybe this is my opinion, but you might consider investing in new gravel. The stuff that's in there is... interesting to say the least. Most fish look better against at least a dark gravel, and in my opinion it makes them feel a little safer. Can you imagine if your carpet was that colour? Shocked

LOL.......we already took the water out and the gravel....We have some black and grey gravel...I will post pics when it is up!
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh thank goodness. Very Happy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a 1 to 10 part bleach formula if you need it but most likely some hot water and a good scrubbing is all you'll need. Just throw out the gravel and like said above go with a darker more natural gravel, you'll be a lot happier with it. Good luck
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: