Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
angels and betta?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
titan848
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)1:57    Post subject: angels and betta? Reply with quote

Hi I have a 30g tank with 2 angels in it anlong with a handful of white minnows and red tetras. I was thinking I wanted to add something with a bit of color. Would a male betta be safe to introduce to this party? my second choice would be a blue ram perhaps.
THanks
Chris
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the Angels a breeding pair, if they are I wouldn't either of the fish you mention (Wouldn't add a Betta anyway as they could easily get picked on by an Angelfish), how old are your Angels?

When Angels breed they change, and will attack any fish they perceive to be a threat to their eggs (They are happy to eat them themselves), and this would include any other Cichlid.

A pair of Angels set on tankmate genocide isn't a pretty sight.

Bob
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed - Angels and male Betta's almost never make it as tankmates. Even though a couple of people have said it worked for them I wouldn't do it. As a newb I actually tried it with my Angels and Betta. I sat in front of the tank watching and then removed my Betta when the Angels wouldn't quit pestering him (and that's when they were still babies). It wasn't worth risking him.
titan848
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. They are not a breeding pair yet, I'm not sure of the sex of them yet but both are still pretty young. probably 4 inches from top to bottom. They have left the schooling fish alone after about two days of being tankmates, but id rather not risk loosing them, or any other fish. Thanks
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: