Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My family won't stop buying fish.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)23:07    Post subject: My family won't stop buying fish. Reply with quote

My family won't stop buying fish. We have too many. I tell them we need a bigger tank, my bro tells em, but my sister wants more fish, and my brother has complete disregard for the capabilities of fish. We have a 70 gallon tank. I do all the maintenence for the tank, I clean it, I feed the fish, I medicate the sick ones, all that stuff. But, in this 70 gallon tank, we have 5 tinfoil barbs, 4 gloden barbs, 2 shark cats, 2 blood parrots, and 1 oscar. Way too many. My brother knew tinfoil barbs grew to 12 inches long, and I didn't. Now I know, and I think a disaster is at hand. They're still juvenniles, but the tinfoil barbs are growing, and fast. They've TRIPLED in size in a few months, the oscar has grown almost an inch, and the BP are growing too. I'm 16, and I'm going to college in two years. Can I save my fish in time!?

MY fish are the oscar, the two BP and the two sharks. I had my eye on a 60 or 70 wide tank to keep em in, but I'M NOT ALLOWED to get another tank. Will they survive for two years even? Either tell me my fish will be OK, or help me somehow. PLEASE! my fishys are at stake!
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need to do is tell them to stop, show them forums like this and prove you know more about fish then them.
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but they already know I know much more about fish than anyone in my family. The problem is, I need to know how I can keep my fish alive for just two years!
If it gets as horrible as I think it will before then, I'm doomed! My fish are gonna die! What will happen to my fish if it gets as crowded as I think it will? Maybe when it gets closer to that stage, I can show them how right I am. In the mean time, is there anything I can do to slow them down or something? Do I feed em too much? Is that why they grow at like an inch every couple of months..?
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm new to this hobby but my gut instinct says that you should try and slow down anything natural.

As far as feeding too much, check out the article on this website...

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_feeding.php

It sounds like you are the one who is responsible enough to care for and maintain the fish tank. It's a shame that your family cannot trust your judgement after all of the effort you must have put into those fish. I imagine that you're bio-load will be quite high and it might become increasingly difficult to maintain. If I was you, I would make it known how much work you need to do in order to keep that tank going.

Even if your fish don't make it, don't give up on it....
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:37    Post subject: :( Reply with quote

So, in other words, if I can't get another tank, all I can do is wait until I can get a tank of my own (when I move away) and hope some of MY fish survive!? AGONY AGOOOONY!!! That's awful. If only I had known more about how big fish get.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your oscar will take care most of the fish inside the tank for you when he gets bigger. Soon or later he will start to take dwon the other fish.

You may end up with one oscar in two years.
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:10    Post subject: ooooooooooh.... Reply with quote

So what you are saying is, once my oscar starts eating people, I can say, OH NOOOOOOOOOES we need a bigger tank for innocent little Jimmy because he doesn't have enough space! And then I can rescue my fish! HOORAY!

Oh, and just because blood parrots have little beak mouths doesn't mean they don't beat on people. Them and my oscar are both two inches long, and the blood parrots tell him off if he nears their secret lair... so I'll probably end up with two BP and an oscar if I'm lucky. Jimmy's mouth is big enough that he can swallow golden barbs, and soon maybe the tinfoil barbs, so you're saying if I keep cleaning and caring for my fish, my oscar will help deal with the overstocking problem? It's devious, but it could work... not that I want him to eat my brothers barbs, but I do value my fish over his... who wouldnt?

But, yeah, in short, I obviously need to convince my parents that I need my own tank. I mean, I do all the work anyway, why should my fish die because of a bunch of big barbs?
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say the best thing you can do is to take all those fish back to the store and plan out a nice community tank with tetras, gouramis, and cories, but I doubt thats an option. you should just try feeding less, of course, get a good filter, and do large water changes of 50% a week.

Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, I can't take them back, the pet store doesn't do exchanges. If I was to give them away, which fish cause the most problems? the tinfoil barbs and the oscar probably?
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
I say the best thing you can do is to take all those fish back to the store and plan out a nice community tank with tetras, gouramis, and cories, but I doubt thats an option. you should just try feeding less, of course, get a good filter, and do large water changes of 50% a week.

so, if I do 50% water changes a lot, and if my oscar eats everyone, at least the oscar (and mybe the blood parrots) will survive? GOOO JIMMY! EAT THEM! not really... I don't want to have to let Jimmy eat my fish just so he'll survive the drastic event. How long until these fish mature/get too big? I want to know exactly how long I have so I can act quickly, without being too crazy.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: