Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
need advice/help with my little puffer!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
tcbemis
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:43    Post subject: need advice/help with my little puffer! Reply with quote

Hi I'm hoping someone out there can help me out! About a month ago we got a dwarf puffer to help out with our snail problem. She (I say she b/c she has no dark line underneath) was very tiny when we bought her and went into hiding a couple time for several days; we were sure we'd lost her.

Now our snail problem "seems" to be under control, we aren't seeing as many babies on the sides in the morning. But Fang (she needs a big name) is still very thin-looking. She seems longer, but very tadpole shaped.

Is this normal? How "puffy" should an adolescent puffer be? My husband is really afraid she's not eating and we're going to lose her sometime soon.

Would it be wise to start feeding her bloodworms or something else in addition to the snails? How do we do this and get around her tankmates (platys and guppies--she's not a picker so far)? We did start a tank to raise (hopefully) snails for her, should she just be moved there?

If anyone has any experience with these little guys I'd love to have it shared with me!

Thanks so much for reading...Tiffany
tcbemis
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? No one knows anything about them? We could really use some help...
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tiffany

Yes, you should definately be supplementing his/her diet with something. I usually give mine some frozen or freeze-dried blood worms.

Most people who keep DPs usually keep them in a "species-only" tank. The only other fish I keep with mine is Otos for algae control. If the other tank you have is already cycled, I would consider moving it, and getting it some friends. Right now, I have three in a 10g, and I'm going to get a couple more.

If you choose to keep it in the tank with the Platys and Guppies, you could target feed him/her by using a dropper. Once it gets healthy, you are likely to have issues with it nipping your Guppies' tails.

It should look something like this

tcbemis
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. Yeah, she really looks nothing like that, sadly. We saw some obviously healthier ones last night at Petsmart, which is where we got her. We got her some bloodworms (frozen) and put her in a cup with them and some Rams that we got her. She quickly ate 2 snails (insides only, not the shells) and even tasted 2 of the bloodworms. So we went to bed feeling slightly relieved last night, that at least we were trying to do something for her.

My husband can't get the other tank warm enough for some reason, it's at 74 degrees right now. This one is warmer and probably better for her for that reason at this point. I've been trying to catch her all day to feed her again, but she's a little quicker today, must be a "full" tummy! Off to try again...thanks, Tiffany
eelman
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)15:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to catch her to feed her? most fish are not in the mood to eat after being caught. whatever you mean, it is not a good way to feed a fish.

also, how are you having temperature problems? do you have a heater?
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcbemis wrote:
We got her some bloodworms (frozen) and put her in a cup with them and some Rams that we got her. She quickly ate 2 snails (insides only, not the shells) and even tasted 2 of the bloodworms. So we went to bed feeling slightly relieved last night, that at least we were trying to do something for her.

Mine only eat the actual snail itself too, so that is not a problem. Keep presenting the bloodworms, and eventually she will take them.

tcbemis wrote:
My husband can't get the other tank warm enough for some reason, it's at 74 degrees right now. This one is warmer and probably better for her for that reason at this point. I've been trying to catch her all day to feed her again, but she's a little quicker today, must be a "full" tummy! Off to try again...thanks, Tiffany

That temperature is fine. Anything between 73 - 78 is OK, just as long as it's stable. If it has large flucuations (e.g. +/- 5 degrees), then yes, that could lead to problems.

You should not be moving her back and forth from a tank to a cup for feeding. The experience of being chased around the tank with a net, and then being caught and placed into a cup is very stressful for the fish. Remember, stability is the key to fish keeping!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: