Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
TDS
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)10:18    Post subject: TDS Reply with quote

What is a good TDS level? What can I do toy lower/raise if necessary?
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean by TDF? what is it an abbreviation of?

Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total Dissolved Solids.

The level will entirely depend on what fish you are keeping. For example, 180 ppm will be good for Madagascar rainbows. (It is a med/hard water). My blue rams on the other hand like under 80ppm. You just have to figure out what fish you want. If you have RO, measuring TDS can be important as you reconstitute it for your aquarium.

Just for basic info, the tds measures salt too, so when you add salt to the tank your tds goes up. This is another reason not to just add salt to your tank 'cause Dr. Wellfish says it is good for your fish...

Cathy
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

what can you use to calculate it or mesure it?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a TDS meter - they run about 65$ here in the US.

You don't really need to know your TDS unless you are reconstituting RO water. To find out how hard or soft your water is just buy a GH/KH test kit. The GH measures calcium and magnesium. The KH measures Carbonate. Its the carbonate which keeps your water at a stable pH. So, if you get the test kit and your KH is say 1-2, you might have unstable pH if you DON'T do weekly water changes or if you add co2 - if the tank is planted. You will also probably have a pH anywhere from 6.8 to 7.2. (That is GUESSING!). If your KH is 4 and up, you will have a higher pH, it will be very stable however.

Mixing tap and RO water (Reverse Osmosis) will change the gh and the KH of your water. You can also add Baking Soda - sodium BICARBONATE to raise pH and to increase KH. Adding crushed coral to your filter box also adds carbonate, though not as radically and as quickly.

To determine TDS from the gh/KH test kit, add the two readings together - the readings are the %, not the parts per million, and multiply by 17. However, if you have other stuff in your water this is not as accurate as using a meter.

I hope this answers your questions. Was there a particular reason you wanted to know about this - like a particular fish or something?

Cathy
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

no particular reason, I have a RO/DI filter that I started using, and didn't know if I should be worried about TDS. I currently use Scheam Equalibrium when I add the water. I am just trying a new approach with my water and trying to get the most for my plants, before with my tap water from the faucet I was getting a really low KH(1 degree). I am just trying to get more CO2 into my tank for my plants, I am battling a lot of algae issues and I am just trying to get my water/nutrients good for the plants.

I have a little tank, 10g, in which I do nothing except DIY CO2 add water that has evaporated out of the tank(open top tank), no ferts, 60 watts over it, and I feed the fish. And the tank is awesome! plants grow great, no algae (knock on wood).

with my big tank I have CO2 injection, ferts, and RO/DI(I just started this first water change on sunday), 150 watt MH and I can't seem to get the plants to out compete the algae and I am really starting to get frustrated. I just don't know what else to do. The only time the plants will grow is when I leave the lights off for 2/3 days straight.

I just feel like pulling my hair out...

Crying or Very sad

hopefully the RO/DI filter will help me some, I just started using the equalibrium as well with it. I don't know if it is the ferts I add or what. I have tried using chuck's calculator, no luck. Barr's EI and the algae came back stronger.

AHHHH!!!!

oh well...
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RO water should have even lower KH than your tap. (Lower gh too...)

I'd check over at the plant forum and see what you are missing. My guess is that it could be related to your RO, perhaps you need to add more calcium and magneseum, and carbonate...

Cathy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: