Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too little light?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)9:26    Post subject: Too little light? Reply with quote

I am upgrading my tank to a 46 gallon now (its a tall bowfront) and plan to keep some a pair of Angel fish and 2 pairs of Bolivian Rams that I would like to breed in my tank, if possible.

I was thinking of using dwarf hairgrass as carpet; an amazon sword, Creeping Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia repens), and Green Cabomba in the back; with a few crypts and anubias in the front of the tank. Also some Java Fern on a piece of driftwood in the center. Maybe some Dwarf Sagittaria & Golden Moneywort in the middle (on the sides) as well.

I did not want to use any CO2 nor any fertilizers in the tank. I do have a twin light fixture (2x25 Watts), and am using Flourite in the bottom of the tank and putting some small gravel on top of that.

Are my lights enough for the plant types I working with? Or should I invest in another light fixture? Or should I start with what I have and see if I need more light and invest accordingly?
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I have a glass top so have no problems getting another fixture and using it .
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you provide more info on the light fixture? Brand name and type of bulbs would be very helpful, or a link to the product would be great.
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a link of the light bulbs I am using T8 (8000K) 36" 25 Watt Fluorescent Lamp:
http://www.all-glass.com/products/lighting/lighting.html

The fixture is from all-glass as well. Its the Twin Tube fixture, 30 watt, 36" tubes Polished Aluminum:
http://www.all-glass.com/products/hoods/index.html
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will probably be just enough for the type of plants you listed. The Anubias and Crypts will definately be fine. Keep the glass clean and expect the plants to take a while to adjust, even a couple months. You will want to add at the very minimum a good trace mix like Seachem Flourish as directed on the bottle.
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)21:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

How hard is it to fertalize a tank? Is it as easy and some drops of the fertilizer in? Can it be harmful for the fish? I wouldnt mind putting it in if it doesn't have any affects on the fish and quality of water.....I guess I'm just a big concerned not knowing much about fertilzers and CO2 and trying to stay away from it because of that.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to www.rexgrigg.com yet?
One of the best introductions to doing a planted tank right.
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I had and it seemed like there was too much information to digest there. I do not want to get tied to checking all the different parameters listed there for iron etc etc, plus figuring out which CO2 is good and how much of it I should be using.

That is why I was trying to stay away from both CO2 and fertilizers. I have had 2 plants in my 15 gallon and since they survived thought of going for a planted aquarium.

Anyways I would still be shying away from CO2 however since fertilizers do seem important I will just invest in some comercial product that will keep my plants in good shape Smile Thanks for your advice!
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying commercial fertilizers is buying a lot of water and very little fertilizer. Get the dry compounds from Greg Watson. As long as you do a 50% water change every week you don't need to test. I have not tested water in my planted tanks in over a year.

Semper Fi
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Rex, but you gained that confidence over many years of testing and getting to know how your tanks and plants behaviors relate to water parameters. Newcomers to the planted tank hobby don't have your trained eye, so testing is still highly recommendable regardless of how much water they change...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: