Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Size of gravel
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jonny
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)7:44    Post subject: Size of gravel Reply with quote

Dear All

After 25 years of not keeping tropical freshwater fish, I bought a tank for me and my children's pleasure. How things have changed in that time!

I have the tank ready to go (once cycled) with an in-tank Fluval filter, but have yet to add any gravel. The last tank I had used an undergrvel filter and therefore I used some slightly lartger gravel so that the debris could be pulled between the gaps.

Are thre any considerations for size of gravel with this new (to me) filter type?

many thanks, Embarassed
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think small pea size gravel will be fine. I would be more concern about filter than the gravel. Not sure which one of the Fluval in tank filter you have. If it is the plus two, it can only handle up to 24 g. You want something a bit more than the size of your tank. At least a plus 3. The problem is, plus three takes so much of your tank space and you ended up with a smaller tank. Also, it does not look good IMO.

I think a HOB filter is a better option. Plus, it does not take up your tank space and easy to clean and services.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOB type filters aren't very common in the UK.

What size tank is it, although lots of people use internal power filters, they aren't my favourites.

Top of the list would be an external cannister filter, they are a bit dearer, but great filtration and far less maintenance. I know people don't like UG's anymore, but from a filtration point of view, they still work, and work well, its often a fashion thing. I am still happy to use them for some tanks.

Because the filter isn't in the gravel (If you don't go back to a UG), the substrate is more down to preference. Some people use sand, all sorts of gravel sizes etc, I have seen crushed coal being used (Well washed) I would reckon it comes down to what you are planning to do.

Is it going to be a planted tank? What sort of fish etc? For example if you wanted to keep Corydorus Catfish, you would go with sand or well rounded gravel to stop them wearing there barbles down.

I still tend to use the small pea gravel, that I used to use for UG's (Often with soil underneath for plant growth, but that's another story).

Bob
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really get what kind of filter it is. Could you explain? If its an HOB, pretty much any size gravel would work fine.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sit inside the tank and doing the job just as a cannister filrer. It has a pump/impeller to push water through.

People don't like it because it is hard to clean and replacing the media. It is unerwater after all. It also take a sizeable space from the tank.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still say any size gravel is good enough as long as the gravel can't get sucked up.
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the smaller to medium size gravel as it supports bacteria growth better then some of the fancier round gravel. Since your skipping the UGF route which is a good thing then like the others said, any size would be fine.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: