Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What to do with a 1 gallon tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)22:54    Post subject: What to do with a 1 gallon tank? Reply with quote

I have a 1 gallon tank with a UGF and no heater (just a light in the hood that gives off minimal heat). Any suggestions on what I could put in it? Is that too small for 1 or 2 goldfish?
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to give you an idea, it's 19 gallons short of the minimum recomendable tank size for a single Goldfish.

The only species I would even consider for a tank like that is a single Betta. Even so, it's at least 4 gallons short of the minimum recommendable tank for a Betta.

So, in all honesty, the best thing to do with it is nothing at all...spend a few bucks and get a 10G with a Whisper filter instead...it'll be a much more rewarding experience.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put some flowers in it and give it to your mum as a flower vase.

Or if you are into plants, you could do a Micro tank, but I agree with Marcos, I wouldn't use it as a fishtank.

Bob
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the dimensions?
That UGF must be tiny!
geoff
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)5:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 7L tank. I added a large PVC pipe, added a return pump, filled it with sand, placed a 10G tank beside it and filled it with SW. With the addition of a draining pipe, I turned the little tank into an invaluable sump which has gotten me out of a few nitrate probs.

**Edit**
What is the temperature around your area? If you have an Air conditioner you can use it to keep the temperature quite even.

I have read of a few tiny fish that are available in aquarium stores. I would doubt they would be in pet stores because of their extreme size. I have lost my aquarium book but I will look for it and add a reply when I find it.

**Edit 2**
I have found it it is called the "least killfish" Heterandria formosa. It grows up to 2 cm for males and 3.5cm for females and don't be fooled by the name, it's a live bearing toothcarp
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 g tank with 2 guppies in there for more than a week now. They are fine and healthy. I think you can put some freshwater shrimp there if you want.

I do 40% daily water change for the small tank. It takes only few minutes and I feel they needed it because of the small size of the tank.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing at Bob! Thank you for your wisdom.

Quote:
So, in all honesty, the best thing to do with it is nothing at all...spend a few bucks and get a 10G with a Whisper filter instead...it'll be a much more rewarding experience.

I already have a 10G that I've just recently moved a betta into from the 1 gallon. Very Happy

Okay, here's what I'm going to do:

I'm going to plant it with low to medium light type plants, some dark colored substrate and throw in a ghost shrimp for algae control. I just hate an empty tank. As for the dimensions, it's a rather odd shape, kind of triangualar as it's meant for a corner. The UGF is basically an air pump with an airstone that you drop down into a tube under a plastic grate. It worked great for this tiny little tank. I had it up and running for 6 months and never had any problems with it. I even kept a cherry barb in it for awhile (I realize that's not ideal now) and then a betta.

Question: Should I cycle it without plants? Or does that matter? I won't put in the shrimp until it's cycled.

Thanks for your help!
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)9:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

since this is a plant setup and there will be very little bioload, I suggest you use a silent cycle. also, for algal control, it may be best to use snails or amano shrimp since in my experience, ghost shrimp don't care much for algae, only eating it when they have nothing else. it may be interesting to set up a planted shrimp-only tank though. more information at www.petshrimp.com

lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks DF Bobo! Now my wheels are spinning with ideas. I know it's only a 1 gallon but it will still be fun to set up and take care of. I liked that petshrimp.com website. It gave me some great ideas. I need to buy a new air pump for the UGF because I am now using it in my 10G for adding aeration (plus the bubbles look cool).

Thanks again!
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenoirj, I have the same tank as you, the one gallon tank thats triangular shaped with an airpump and air stone, but I don't knowwhat to do with it either...

Is it possible any fish can go in there, or should I just throw it away?

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: