Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I want a planted tank but NEED HELP!!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sooperbaby
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)22:29    Post subject: I want a planted tank but NEED HELP!! Reply with quote

Hi,
I am interested in starting a 10 Gallon planted with some Java Fern, Java Moss, some Hairgrass, and possibly an Amazon Sword if its easy. I would like to know what type of substrate will be best suited with the plants and if I should use carbon for the filter. I am also going to put in some fish ike Corys, Otocinclus's, a Gourami and some tetras.
Thanks for the help.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a planted tank as easy or as hard as you want, for example, plants like Java Moss and ferns, don't need much lighting, they don't need substrate, they don't need much food. Lots of other plants like Elodea only use the substrate to anchor themselves to the bottom, rather than feeding through the roots.

On the other hand, most Amazon Swords, prefer a deep mud like substrate (Under the gravel) and they will easily outgrow a 10 gallon tank.

I would start with easy growing plants, then if the bug really bites, consider stuff like substrates, CO2, dry fertilisers and additional lighting.

Out of the fish you mentioned, some Corys (Depending on species) and Oto's prefer a mature tank (Running several months) before you add them. You only need carbon in a filter to take out known pollutants like medications etc, handy to have in the cupboard for when needed, but no need to run it all the time, best replaced with more standard filter media.

This is a good place to research plants:

http://www.tropica.com/default.asp

Bob
kissaragi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

some kind of anubias would probably be better than an amazon sword, or maybe a smaller sword species
Sooperbaby
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll skip the amazon sword and fish for now until things are going fine with the easy plants.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: