Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
One Very Happy Betta!(Now with *More* Pics!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunatly bettas won't get along with other labyrinth fish. That means all gourami, other bettas, and paradise fish. Males see these similar fish as breeding compition instinctivly fight and chase them off in nature. It would be hard to keep the two in any size system, and a 10 gallon would just be a boxing ring. You could add a couple more cherry barbs. They really enjoy each others company. Or maybe a few Ottos. Just make sure the ottos are getting enough to eat. They have big appities for such little guys.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, the ottos look like fun......
But I also really enjoy my cherry barbs......
Or maybe I could add some white clouds.......

Razz
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some cories? Your betta might just ignore them, but he definitely would be peaceful towards them.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I've been looking at the cory's in the gallery and I think that's what I will go with. I'll go down to my lfs and see what they have (if I remember right, they have a few different varieties). I will get 3 because it seems they like company from their own species.
Fishlova
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lenoirj,

I have bettas with cories and they go greatly! I have a female betta with 6 gouramis and although she is 1/4 of their size she will sometimes chase them and shoo them away from her spot in the tank. I'm guessing males would be more feisty....

And WOW!! I love what you have done with your tank!!! When I saw it I said... 'WOW!'.

Very Happy

http://au.youtube.com/Fishlova82
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Fishlova! Just a word of advice to anyone who doesn't know better: Hornwort grows like crazy! I've been cutting that stuff back almost every other day!
Here's a couple more pics:

I can't seem to get a good clear pic of the cherry barbs, they are just too fast for my camera!
I can't wait to get some cory's. My tank will be complete! I'm going to begin working on my tiny little 1 gallon that I plan to plant and stock with 1 or 2 shrimp. Just for fun, ya know! Wink Then I plan to get one more tank within the next year (30G? maybe a 55G?) and begin working on that. I just have to get my husband to agree to it. Rolling Eyes He's a fisherman but not really into fishkeeping.

Thanks for the encouragement and help!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: