Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Betta Pics
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)18:30    Post subject: Betta Pics Reply with quote

For xmas I gave my partner a 25l aquacube I had got free from PFK(Practical Fishkeeping Mag). I had ran his filter in my tank and put mature media inside from my filter.
On New Years eve we got him a betta. I have put some hygrophila in the tank from my tank and given it a sand bottom. I bought a heater as the tank did not have one with it.

This is our first betta so I am looking for help identifying the type. It was sold as a firecraker betta, and from research believe it to be a crowntail.
Any information anyone can give would be appreciated.

Here he is, hope you enjoy the pics!!

and again

He has started to build a bubble nest already!!

Last edited by Tigerissey on 2007.01.04(Thu)18:53; edited 1 time in total
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's a crowntail. And he's handsome alright. May he live long and prosper. Wink

I'd love to see photos of the full tank if you have any!
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I have not yet took a full tank shot as I am deciding on the background that I will pursuade the other half that he wants!! if you know what I mean.
I also am trying to pursuade him that a few more plants to hide the filter and heater would be a good idea!! The tank looks very clinical at the moment, I hope to pursuade him to go for a more aquascaped look rather than plonk a rock and small piece of wood in there.

Would any other dither type fish fit in there with him? I would not go for tetras as I know from my own tank that they are nippy.

My ideas would be corries or small barbs such as cherry?? Not sure on fish for this size of tank with a betta??

Thanks for the comments, we really do hope he stays with us for a long time!!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, I know what you mean. Wink

I think three pygmy cories might be okay, but it's not a lot of room for them. How about just a snail? or shrimp.

Maybe you could compromise with the partner and do a zen tank with some lucky bamboo to go with the simple rocks and at least one rock cave. I think it would look sharp with that white sand. Bamboo leaves would probably be enough to make the betta happy plantwise. And be sure to get some kind of cave or hideout. My bettas have always loved their little caves.
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help will advise him of his options fish / shrimp wise.

Funny you should mention a zen tank because I did show him a picture of one, I thought that would look good too!! He kind of said he liked it but he wanted the tank simple!!

The wood plonked in the tank is arched and does provide a kind of hide out which he has used a couple of times. I will try and get a photo tomorrow, you may have suggestions then!!

Thanks again
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)10:32    Post subject: Betta Pics - Full Tank Shot Added Reply with quote

Here as requested by ceci9293 is a full tank shot.

I have added a piece of card at the back whilst deciding on a background to hide cables.
The hygrophila are pinch outs from my own tank.

Any suggestions for my partner on landscaping would be appreciated, he is quite boring and did not even want the hygrophila in there.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice CT { crown tail } hey are alitle more aggraisive then vail and even some Half Moons { HM } . The tank set up is great for him. He'll love the plants, as for tank mates. That's a tufff call I'd go with a smal school of neons. The CT will even school with them if he's a mild tempered betta. if he's an aggrasive betta it'll be even harder to find tank mates.
Tigerissey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies, Leslie I thought neons would be too nippy and possibly damage the finnage of the betta.
I don't think he is too aggressive, however that may of course change.
Any aquascaping ideas are appreciated as are choices of background. I am not sure of the black / blue ones commercially available. I may end up painting lots of cards to check it out however suggestions are appreciated.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neons are nippy to apoint. I've found that with bettas that they always ten to stop the fin nippers shortly after adding them. The CTs that I have keep neons better then any other fish. Another thing you could do is get a divider and ad another betta to the other side. I keep 9 this way and they all keep bubble nest and eat better for some reason.

I like your card back ground ideal. That would be cool. even blacking out the back would be pretty with the color of the sand and the plants.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like it! Thanks for posting it. Smile The plants look great, and I bet your betta loves that driftwood. Have you cosidered a white background?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: