Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bettas... need to be in cycled tank?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)15:11    Post subject: Bettas... need to be in cycled tank? Reply with quote

Hi there, I've recently been thinking of maybe getting a betta, but I know it definitely would not like my community tank, seeing as the current may be too strong for him and the gouramis wouldn't get along with him. So, I was thinking maybe of getting a second, smaller tank... around 2.5g or 5g. This is my question: Do bettas need to live in an already cycled tank? I know you can't just plop them in the water right away, but if people keep them in bowls, that water definitely isn't cycled. So my guess would be no, but I am just curious Smile I would love to take care of a betta and would like to make him as comfortable as possible in his new home if I were to get one! [/I]
Dave51
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple answer is no, but the correct answer is yes. Many fish can be added to a non cycled tank and survive, though you know you should not do it. At least buy some type of Cycle product and give your tank a week or two weeks to cycle your tank fishless. As you said you want your betta to be as comfortable as possible and since you already have a tank use some of that water and filter material and it will not take long at all to cycle it correctly.
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! I never thought of using the water I already have! Duh... thanks a bunch! And would some kind of filter, like an undergravel filter, be OK to use (would it not produce much if any current)?
Dave51
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

really depends how strong a pump you have attached to it. Also since you plan to use that don't forget to transfer a handful of gravel
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great tips! Now I really have to decide about this betta... Laughing
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you really want to get the best out of a male Betta, I would go for a larger tank, of about 10 gallons (even larger is better), with plants and some good tankmates, like a shoal of Glowlights or some bottom dwellers like Cory's.

I know that keeping Betta's in small tanks is a long held practice in the US, but they do look better in a bigger tank, and I doubt a 10 gallon would cost any more than a small one.

Bob
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recommend getting at least a 10g for a betta. I have one in a 10g with an AquaClear mini as a filter. The fish does very well, swims actively, and enjoys exploring the tank as a whole. Right now he has some shrimp for company and soon I will be adding in some other tankmates.

I also have a betta in a 55g (he used to be in the 10g with a small school of neons) and he is doing well also! He's become a strong swimmer and likes to prowl the tank, swimming through holes in the driftwood and through the plants.

Using water from an existing tank won't really make a difference. The nitrifying bacteria do not free-float in the water; they grow on surfaces like gravel and the sponge in the filter.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: