Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Adding fish to my 10 gallon tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)12:31    Post subject: Adding fish to my 10 gallon tank Reply with quote

at this moment I have 5 neon tetras and 2 swordtails. I used to have an angelfish in there but he died because the water temp dropped to low some how.

I was thinking about adding a 3-5 glowlight tetras and another female swordtail and maybe an otto.

I was wondering, would that be too crowded? or is that going to be fine to do?
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you should add those extra tetras, maybe one more neon, but the swordtail and oto( especially if it's a small one) would be fine. and if your swordtails spawn they won't have any threat from those bigger glowlight tetras. P.S. I'm trying to breed my swordies to, but I'm introducing a red bodied, black finned platy (I don't know the real name). I've heard they interbreed a lot, that'd be a cool hybrid
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with invertmaniac... I wouldn't add the extra tetras.
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gunna get the swordtail, the 2 I have now are doing just fine for now. but I'm just gunna get a few glowlights, like about 2 or 3. but I'm not gunna get an oto. I'm gunna get a small algae eater

as for the swordtails fry, I bought breeding grass, so when they do spawn thay will havea place to hide.
Dave51
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the angel would have died any or just been uncomfortable to say the least in that small a tank. If you wanted to change up your tank get into plants, changing plants is easier then changing fish for those who always need constant additions to the tanks.
Also you said not an otto? what did you plan on getting
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otos only get 2 in. (5cm) so I think they might be okay. Just remember they like to have company around so get at least 3 if you change your mind. You could also get a couple shrimp, cherry shrimp and amano shrimp are supposed to be good. I can't think of any other algae eater that is smaller than an oto. PS. If you could find a few dwarf corys they might be a good change instead of the tetras.
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave51 wrote:
Well the angel would have died any or just been uncomfortable to say the least in that small a tank. If you wanted to change up your tank get into plants, changing plants is easier then changing fish for those who always need constant additions to the tanks.
Also you said not an otto? what did you plan on getting

My angel fish wasnt very big, probably about 5cm (2inches). instead of the ottos I'm gunna get a few algae eaters (chinese I think)but it will b very small.

but also, in the next 2-3 weeks I'm gunna be upgrading to a 29gallon tank.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ottos, chinese algae eaters are bad news. they're real agressive. I'm feeding my CAE to my pink tipped anemone Twisted Evil . he's been killing off my tetras and he's starving out my snails
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, chinese algae eaters can grow up to a foot. If you are going to get a 29 gal. you could try a siamese algae eater. They are better at eating algae than CAE also.
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ottos are the smallest algae eater I know of. They are really the only one I would keep in a 10. I would get a trio of them instead of glowlights. They are great at eating algae, and full of energy and character. Your CAE will likely eat algae for a month then never touch it again. Instead it will go after the slime coat of your other fish Evil or Very Mad Or if you upgrade to the 29... SAE as fishy me said are also great algae eaters. I would wait to buy them because there isn't much algae for them to eat in a new system.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: