Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
want to plant 10g, what do I do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see if I can answer everything... Wink

First, with the java fern are you saying that I will need to cut the fishing line off? What kind of cotton thread - like sewing thread?

Second, I'll definitely look at the garden section. The 29 is so much taller than the 10 and it looks really empty right now.

Third, I have regular gravel - I got the brown color which is about 3X the size of the colored gravel that I usually use. I did get some red gravel that is the smaller size to mix in to add just a little bit of color. It came out really cool looking!

Fourth, you are saying that I should plant havy for cycling, but the tank is cycled. I had the filter from the 29 in the 10 for about 2 weeks and I then added the 10g filter to the 29g tank for added filtration and water flow. My levels are:
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10
pH - 7.4
alkalinity - 160
In my experience and from what I've read here, those are the levels I need, right? So, if my tank is cycled, does it matter that I'm taking it slow with the planting? I've got the worst black thumb with regular plants, and I don't want to throw away money if the aquarium plants don't work for me.

Fifth, although I want some plants on the driftwood, the main planting will be done through the tank. I only got one piece of driftwood for now, and I may not get anymore than that, I haven't decided 100% yet.

I think that's everything! Thank you again and if anyone can answer the new questions, I'd greatly appreciate it!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
Let's see if I can answer everything... Wink

First, with the java fern are you saying that I will need to cut the fishing line off? What kind of cotton thread - like sewing thread?

Second, I'll definitely look at the garden section. The 29 is so much taller than the 10 and it looks really empty right now.

Third, I have regular gravel - I got the brown color which is about 3X the size of the colored gravel that I usually use. I did get some red gravel that is the smaller size to mix in to add just a little bit of color. It came out really cool looking!

Fourth, you are saying that I should plant havy for cycling, but the tank is cycled. I had the filter from the 29 in the 10 for about 2 weeks and I then added the 10g filter to the 29g tank for added filtration and water flow. My levels are:
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - 10
pH - 7.4
alkalinity - 160
In my experience and from what I've read here, those are the levels I need, right? So, if my tank is cycled, does it matter that I'm taking it slow with the planting? I've got the worst black thumb with regular plants, and I don't want to throw away money if the aquarium plants don't work for me.

Fifth, although I want some plants on the driftwood, the main planting will be done through the tank. I only got one piece of driftwood for now, and I may not get anymore than that, I haven't decided 100% yet.

I think that's everything! Thank you again and if anyone can answer the new questions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

If you were to use fishing line it might cut the rhizome while you are putting it on, but if it didn't it might be fine. The only thing is if the rhizome grew larger it might get strangled by the fishing line. Using regular sewing thread is a bit safer for the plant. The thread will eventually disentegrate after the roots of the fern take hold and will not impede the fern's growth.

What do you mean when you say the gravel is 3X the normal size? Do you mean they are like river stones?

Your levels look good to me. Nitrate could probably be a little bit higher, since you are going to have plants in this tank. Nitrate is a nutrient that plants need to grow properly. Though, some need it more than others. Also do you have any fertilizers? If you want to start slow with plants that should be fine. Perhaps you should read up on some things here... http://www.rexgrigg.com/
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a very easy to maintain 11 gallons shrimp tank.
Here is the whole idea Wink
http://myaquascapes.blogspot.com/2006/09/11-gallons-42-liters.html

Regards, Dusko.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean river rocks, but the gravel seems bigger than the usual colored gravel. I'll see if my husband has taken a pic of the tank yet and get it posted on here to show you.

Thanks for the links! I'm going to go read them now!
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of the anubias plants. Would any of those work with the regular tank hood light? I want mostly plants that are going to fill in the back and then just a few smaller ones for the front and foreground. Would the java moss work? I think it looks really cool on driftwood!

Thanks again for any advice!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both great low-light plants. They are in fact recommended often for beginners, because they are very hardy. Do you know where you are going to buy your plants yet?
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first plant at Petsmart, which is where I buy all of my FW fish. I know the people who work there really well now, and I know the manager b/c his son is in my son's cub scout pack. I really trust them. I only say all this b/c I know that a lot of people don't like Petsmart or that type of store for livestock of any kind. Anyway, sorry for the rant.

Thank you for the advice!! Smile
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I got a Java Fern today and a Moneywort. As of right now they are both down in the gravel, but I didn't know if I should tie the Java Fern to the driftwood or wait until I can get Java Moss (they didn't have it today) to put on the driftwood.

Thanks in advance for extra help!
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose if you have to take the wood out of the tank you should wait till you can do them both at the same time. Make sure you keep the moss wet, while you are tying it to the wood.
cks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure I'm clear, I should tie the java fern to the piece of driftwood like I am going to with the java moss? Should I get a different piece of driftwood so each type of plant has it's own piece? (Am I making any sense? Embarassed )

Thank you for the tip about keeping the plant wet, I would have taken it out of the tank to tie it on!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: