Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Molly and Platy babies
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
appo2
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)1:20    Post subject: Molly and Platy babies Reply with quote

I have a tank with 1 male silver molly, 1 female silver, 2 dalmations, 1 male platy and 2 female platys. I have noticed that both platys have gotten pregnant as well as two mollies. Obviously this will be a lot of babies and perhaps too many for my tank to handle at the moment. I basically wanted to know if these babies would be able to survive in my girlfriends tank which contains 2 glolite tetras and 1 bloodfin tetra. Or if the tetras would attack the babies. Or perhaps if there were any other options instead of breeding containers. I have a small gallon sized container, however it is not heated. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you or your friends tank has lots of fake or real plants, driftwood, or even rockpiles, most of the babies should survive. I don't think glowlights pose much of a threat, however I don't even know what bloodfin tetras are, but because they're tetras they shouldn't pose any threat
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fish are going to be producing between 20 and 40 fry per month per female, if you try and keep all of them, you will run out of tanks very quickly, are you sure you want to do this, I know small fish have more of an emotional pull over fish eggs, but sometimes it's best to let them get eaten. Tetras (And most other fish) will eat fry if they can fit them in their mouths.

Bob
appo2
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I know mollies will reproduce quite often but I do have friends that want some of the babies but not til they are a little bit bigger. Other than this batch, I am not too worried but I just want this batch to survive.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: