Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
swordtail question
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)0:40    Post subject: swordtail question Reply with quote

OK I have 2 red swordtails (a male and a female).will the female be alright by her-self with the male for now? or would I have to go get another female.

I was just wondering because all the places that talk about swordtails say that it is perfered to keep a 2:1 ratio, the females outnumbering the males.

thanks
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size are they? And how big is the tank? Also, it might help if it is heavily plated. Is the male chasing and attacking the female?
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually they are kept in that ratio so the may divides his time between the 2 females and is not constantly bickering one to breed. like flame_angel11 said, it would work if you kept a 1:1 ration in a large, heavily planted tank with lots of hiding places.

MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

they bith are about 2 inches long and I just added a bunch of plants to my tank which is a 10g.
At first the male always bothered her, now he really doesn't but they both swim together around the tank.
Sammie7
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make sure, you do know that swordtails get to be about 4-5 inches? That's too big for a 10 gallon. Perhaps you were planning on moving them later? http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sword.php
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sammie7 wrote:
Just to make sure, you do know that swordtails get to be about 4-5 inches? That's too big for a 10 gallon. Perhaps you were planning on moving them later? http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_sword.php

yes I know that they grow to be that big. I do plan to move them in about 2-3 weeks when I save enough money for either a 20 or 29 gln tank.
PeterIreland
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swordtails rarely attain that size.

I would add an extra female to share the attention of the male. I used to keep them and breed them years ago, I used a ratio of 4:1.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)5:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Swordtails rarely attain that size.

Hello Peter, most of the Swordtails we have are that size. If you give a fish enough room, and plenty of water changes, it should have every chance of reaching it's full growth potential.

If it doesn't then it hasn't grown properly. There is a name for this, it's called stunting. Many years ago when I started fishkeeping most people didn't worry about stunting fish, but nowadays it's not counted as good fishkeeping.

Bob
PeterIreland
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob,

Are you including the caudal fin in that measurement or is it the body itself.

Just curious, I've honestly never seen a swordtail even close to that length.

Peter.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on body, female Swordtails can get surprisingly large. Males seem to stop growing or grow less, once they develop the tail, so we have males of various sizes from 2 inches to nearer 3 1/2, but they really need more room than a 10 gallon.

Just been down to my boys tank (Where the Swordtails are), one of his males, including its tail, is nearly as long as a full grown Firemouth Cichlid (Easily six inches).

Bob

PS for the record our Swordtails are all home bred, and in a 30 gallon tank with a Firemouth and Bronze Corys.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: