Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Thinking about changing filters
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
balasharkdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:18    Post subject: Thinking about changing filters Reply with quote

I am thinking about a filter change and wanted to see if it would be worth my time and money. I currently have a 55g tank with a magnum 350 canister filter, and an 40-60 aqua regent power filter on the back. I have been having bacteria bloom problems, so I'm thinking about a Marineland Emperor 400 with twin Bio-Wheels. Am I making a good move or am I wasting my time. If there is anyone with any advice, I would appreciate it.....Thanks
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by "bacteria bloom problems"? You *want* beneficial bacteria in your filter (stuff looks like brown slime) but if you are having some other kind of bacteria, well...can't think of what that might be! I wonder if you mean algae bloom problems? Algae blooms are different.

The filter itself is not going to do all the work on your tank. Are you keeping up with water changes and other tank maintenance? Is the tank planted? What fish are you keeping in it? How long has it been running?

Basically...can you be more specific about the problem you're having?
balasharkdude
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is bacteria bloom because it is a white haze and it started when I did a water change and filter maint about 3 weeks ago. Ever since it has been a white cloudy mess. I have performed daily water changes and maintained a pH of 7. All other peramaters are in line. I don't know if I have killed some of the beneficial bacteria or not when I cleaned my filters. I have been adding stress zyme almost daily. The tank has been up and running for over a year and I have never had this problem. Fish are ....1 Bala Shark, 2 Clown Loaches, 1 Pleco, 1 Angel, 1 Golden Gourami, 1 Rainbow Shark, 1 Syndontis Catfish, 1 Silver Dollar.
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)18:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I really matters how much filtration you have in there. Your biggest issue is going to be the fish you have! Clown loaches get over a foot long, and same with the pleco if its a common plec. It says in your profile that you have a 55 gallon? You need at least a 100 gal for clown loaches if I remember right. Your bala shark and silver dollar get big too.

You said it started when you did a water change and filter mantinence? How did you clean the filter? You need to clean it in water from your tank and not in tap water. Cleaning it in tap water will kill the benificial bacteria because of the clorine in it.

I'd say keep up with the water changes. Don't buy a bigger/better filter, instead save the money for a larger home for your aquatic pets. These kids are surely out growing thier home after a years time and will greatly appeciate some more space Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: