Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best nitrate level for established tank?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)15:50    Post subject: Best nitrate level for established tank? Reply with quote

Hi there, I've had my 29g tank properly cycled for about 8 months now and since, the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels have remained at 0. However, I just checked them and my nitrate is at 10ppm while the ammonia and nitrite are at 0. Is this a good level for nitrate, or should it be at 0? I read that under 40 is fine... Neutral
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup 40 and under is alright, mine are usually around 20 or 30. Also check to see if your ta water has nitrates in it to begin with, the EPA requires 10ppm and less so you may always have 10 there anyway.
Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks a bunch! Very Happy
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

lower is better, but the danger zone is 40. if it's under 40, it's fine. if not.... you need to think about feeding less, maybe taking out a few fish, and do a large water change.

Corkiddy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks... so really as long as it doesn't get up to high 30's and 40, my tank is fine? And it wouldn't really ever be at 0?
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should mention that if you're keeping plants, they do use nitrogen as a food source, and while they prefer ammonia, I believe they will also make use of nitrate, so plan accordingly.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corkiddy wrote:
OK, thanks... so really as long as it doesn't get up to high 30's and 40, my tank is fine? And it wouldn't really ever be at 0?

Nitrates safe level is also depending on the fish you keep. I know for most discus keepers, the aim is to keep it lower than 5 to 10. If you get to 20s, your discus will show all kinds of problems soon or later.

Other fish may have a better ways of handling the nitrates level. Most of the more sensitive fish require less while others are not bothered by a relatively higher nitrates.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: