Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Amazon Sword Plants
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add more information about Amazon Swords:

When kept under good growth conditions (I.e. high light, carbon dioxide injection, root fertilization), these plants grow to astonishing size. I kept a couple in a 90 gallon tank, and within about half a year they had completely outgrown the tank. The leaves were floating on the water surface and the two plants were taking up about 50% of the space in the tank. When I eventually dismantled the tank, the root system of both plants spanned virtually the complete substrate of the tank.

In my opinion, these plants are best kept in very large tanks as solitary plants. On option is to plant them in substrate filled flower pots and place them into large, bare-bottom tanks.
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Amazon Sword reminds me of a true 'plant' whereas other aquarium plants are really more like water weeds, especially stem plants.
I think this is the main problem is that they get so huge over time and aren't good for small aquariums. However, they also seem to be one of the least expensive aquarium plants available so they are labeled as beginner's choice.
ClaytonM
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I might have to transfer the tank to my 29 gallon. It's just not doing well in my 10 gallon. The leaves are browning, but there is new growth around the bottom of the plant. I have been dosing it with Seachem's Excel Organic Carbon. I might have to try the DIY CO2 injector. I have also been fertilizing with Seachem's Excel Plant Supplement. My water quality is all in the normal parameters.. I'll give you an update after I use the DIY CO2 injection.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had my sword for about a year, but it only started growing in the last two months. When I moved it to my 55 gallon aquarium, it was just a piece of root and a little tiny dead leaf. The tank it had previously been in had about 0.5 WPG and no fertilization.

Today, it is in a 55 gallon with 3 WPG lighting and heavy EI amd root fertilization. I have ordered some flourish excel too, to aid growth. Even without the carbon, in the last month it has gone from about 4" tall, to close to 12" tall and 10" wide!

This is a great plant when you treat it well.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: