Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Amazon Sword Plants
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ClaytonM
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)15:28    Post subject: Amazon Sword Plants Reply with quote

Can someone give me a list of do's and don'ts with the Amazon Sword plant? All advise is greatly appreciated.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)15:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this page? Lots of good anecdotal information there. : )
ClaytonM
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I always read those "Gallery" type pages first. I read that page before I bought the plant. It actually help make my mind up about choosing to buy the amazon sword. I was just looking for more real world experience. Someone who has kept and used this plant for a few years and what made them successful in keeping this plant.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...that's the thing. All the comments posted on that page are "real world experience" from people who have "kept and used this plant for a few years", so I'm not sure what else you're looking for! : )
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clayton,

Which of your two tanks are you thinking about the amazon sword for? It would quickly outgrow your 10 gallon, and even in the 29 would need frequent trimming to not be overpowing. Especially if you are going high watt lights, fertilzer routines, and CO2 injection.

Other then that, a high quality substrate and plenty of room is all that is needed in my experience.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried a Sword in my 55 gln. I have a very low light tank with gravel substrate, no CO2 and about 2 hours of direct sunlight during the summer months, tank lights are on for 12 hours/day. The Sword started off doing quite well, growing slowly but adding leaves. About six months after planting it the leaves started browning and getting holes in them. I think my loaches may have had something to do with it but I'm not sure. I replanted it on the other side of the tank where there isn't so much loach activity and it is, very slowly, starting to grow again. It has never grown like it should, these plants generally take over whereever they are, but is still alive.
I have actually been surprised that it is still alive (although puny looking) in my low light tank. It was an experiment for me. I won't get anymore but I'm not throwing this one out yet either.
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

could it because its not a low light plant? I am sure everywhere I have read it says to have adequate lighting for it. Medium lighting at least. Just my 2 cents, put I havent kept it yet.....planning to soon!
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read loaches will only eat sword leaves if you don't have enough iron for them to taste yucky. I feed my loaches veggies several times a week & they only bother the older sword leaves if I haven't added a root tab lately. Mine grow OK in low light with iron.
Nancy
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

koolguyal - that is correct, it is not considered a low light plant. That's why it was an experiment for me.
NancyD - thankyou. That was good information for me.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)13:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that in my experience this plan is a low light one, but without CO2 (DIY will suffice) it doesn't do that good. After having lots of problems with this plant, fertilising with ground tablets and iron balls, DIY CO2 did the actual trick and it is back to life, growing beautiful leaves that look sooo strong. I will observe it for a longer while before posting an illustrated article about this plant.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: