Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Do bettas gain new colours as they age?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:44    Post subject: Do bettas gain new colours as they age? Reply with quote

My betta who is primarily white and blue, has developed two thin red streaks, one on his dorsal fin, and the other, much thinner one, on his anal fin. While I was at first worried he'd developed septecemia, he seems perfectly healthy, active as always and is eating just fine. Is it possible that he's just developed some new colouring, or should I be worried?

Tank specs:

size: 1.5 gallon
temp: stays around 75 degrees
all levels are normal... pH about 7.4

No other inhabitants except a tiny snail...

Someone help please =)
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I can't say for sure, I have noticed one of my bettas (the one in my avatar) has had a deepening of red color in the last few months. When I first got him, there was just a hint of red in the two skinny fins under the head (I'm sorry, I don't know what they're called). In the last little while this red color has become more pronounced, but I am very sure it's not septecemia either.

Actually, I'll be quite bitter if it contintues...I'd prefer this betta stay that aqua color!
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)14:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it's a deepening/spreading of color that was already there. That white with red/blue coloring is pretty common. When I first bought my recently deceased female, she was white with just a little trim of red on her caudal fin. You can see in this picture that you couldn't see much red at all in her other fins:

When I moved her into the 5gal, she started coloring up more and more. By the time I lost her, her entire tail was bright red, and all her fins were red almost to her body. She was beautiful. Sigh. Lesson learned: remove betta to safe, covered container before doing water changes.

Anyway, I think it's normal and a good sign, even if you don't like the new color as much. Wink I doubt bettas change colors entirely like goldfish, but they do seem to reflect their general well-being in their colors.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: