Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cories + breathing air = necessity?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:37    Post subject: Cories + breathing air = necessity? Reply with quote

I was just wondering... I know cories have some gland or something in their abdominal tracts/stomachs or something that let them breathe air from the surface.... but do they *have* to? Or can they get air from the water (through their gills) as well? I've always wondered the same things about bettas as well...
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bettas and other labyrinth fish do need to breath air or they will die. Cories only need to breath air if there isn't enough oxygen in the water. In a well airated tank, they often will only go to the top very rarely. In my tank, the top got so overgrown with floating plants, the cories couldn't find anywhere to grab any air. They would zip towards the top and then swim back down looking annoyed, but they were fine health wise.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer the Cory part of this question but I can answer in regards to Bettas. They have a Labyrinth organ which allows them to breath air. If you put a Betta in a bowl and put a lid on it that is under the surface of the water, thus not allowing the Betta access to air - it will drown.
This is one of the reasons that people have such different ideas as to how big/small of container a Betta should be kept in. They can live in a puddle of muddy water (and do during the dry season in their native country) since they breath air but ... they are healthiest and happiest when in a much larger quantity of water which is where they live most of the year in their native country.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)16:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. Thanks a lot, both of you! My cories don't do it a lot, thats why I was wondering if they had to or if it was just optional. Thanks! =D
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: