Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Paddle Tailed Newt
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)2:14    Post subject: Paddle Tailed Newt Reply with quote

I just recently got 2 paddle tailed newts from a friend for christmas and they are awesome little companions. I have really grown to like them a lot. One of them has thrived and done very well, the other, every day looks a little worse.

He is now missing a hand, losing skin, has all sorts of little bumps on him and has a large bit of his tail missing. He is really looking bad. I have kept a good eye on him and I don't believe he is getting picked on, it looks like the bumps on his skin are getting worse. I have seperated him and currently have him isolated but I don't know what to do.

Anyone have any ideas? Can I give him Melafix? Would it help?
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had him seperated for 24 hours now, he is still alive but hasn't eaten a thing. Does anyone have any experience with newts?
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I work at an LFS and my manager recently ordered some paddle tail newts.

Unfortunately, as I understand it, they are extremely territorial and aggressive towards each other, much like bettas. Even if there were no physical fights, the underdog could have been deprived of food. But if his missing a foot and part of his tail, they it was probably removed, courtesy of his tankmate.

Sorry, I don't have much advice for the injured one Embarassed I'd suggest keeping his iso tank very, very clean and try tempting him with some different frozen foods or some worms. I probably wouldn't try melafix, as it is intended for fish.

You also may want to try google to find out a bit more on the newts, as they have some other requirements to thrive, such as low water temperatures and a current.
blamus
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, I didn't know that at all. I appreciate your input.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: