Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
easy to breed fish
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
keynen
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)22:04    Post subject: easy to breed fish Reply with quote

I have an 11 gallon tank with fine gravel, planted. I also have a 10 gallon community tank where I could put the parts after breeding and an empty 5 gallon tank. I have already had success breeding livebearers and was wondering what fish I could breed with my current setup. If anybody has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.
-Keynen
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kribensis are easy to breed and need fine gravel, so they could be a good choice. They need a cave to breed in though, a small pot on its side would do perfectly - it has worked for me before. The fry is easy to raise too, frozen brine shrimp will do it. The only problem is the tank might be to small.
Also bristlenoses are pretty easy to breed.
You could also try a bubble nest builder, like fighters.
Generally most cichlids are fairly easy to breed. My electric yellows bred without me even trying to.

This has some info.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/information/breeding_freshwater_fish.htm#Anabantoids
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetly try cichlids or anabantoids. My first fish bred was the paradisefish, and I think these are almost guaranteed to breed for you if you give them the right conditions...and even the wrong ones.

My only experience with bristlenoses was a bad one, but many others think they breed like roaches. They do make excellent fish to take into a store for store credit though!

For egg scattereres, zebra danios and the like are a good choice. They are a bit tougher IMO than the first two as you need to be more involved to get it done.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)22:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any experience with it myself, but I've read that cherry barbs are pretty easy to breed, and they give a clear sign of when they're going to do it--the males turn bright red when they're ready to mate!
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the late response but I found that platies are intensly easy to breed
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: