Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cycling w/ a bacteria rich filter
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)21:02    Post subject: cycling w/ a bacteria rich filter Reply with quote

I need to move my 46 gal to another house, I will be adding a new substrate to the gravel after the move. I will be using the same filter which I have allowed to build up quite a bit of mulm. (6+ months -it's thick) unfortunately I do not have room in my other tanks to keep the fish while I cycle this tank. what I've gathered from experience is that I can keep my fish in several 5 gallon buckets for 7 hours (maybe longer but I know 7 will work fine [three 3" - 5" fish per bucket]).

I will be moving the tank in about 2 weeks

Arrow the filter I am using is the Emperor 400 Power Filter System (400 gph) -I believe... it has two dark brown bio wheels and has all the distinguishing marks of an emperor filter... it just isn't in front of me now.

Arrow the substrate I am adding is supposed to have benficial bacteria in it (eco complete planted aquarium substrate -comes moist- "...contains live heterotrophic bacteria...packed in liquid amazon buffered 'black water' solution...." I will then place the old gravel on top.

Arrow the tank is ultimately going to be home to several loaches; I will be placing 7 or 8 large peices of driftwood (cavernly). several of the peices I am using have been in the tank for months.

the tank will eventually be planted heavily although it may be sparce when I first move it.

Arrow after the fish are caught and the tank emptied, it will only take about 15 minutes to actually move everything to the new site.

Question if I do not clean the inside glass and use around 30% of the old water how long do u think the cycling will be?

Question what if anything can I do to speed up the cycle? -I do have "can-o'-bacteria" Laughing
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the filter and 30% of the water, and the deco that you have all already have bacteria there. You should be able to put the fish back in as it will basically like you are doing a large water change but putting in new substrate. Everything should work out fine.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u, it kinda took me writing it down to figure it out
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: