Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Jack Dempsey? I'm not so sure...
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)19:50    Post subject: Jack Dempsey? I'm not so sure... Reply with quote

I went into my LFS today to pick up some carbon and was browsing through the tanks and found, in a tank labeled "plecostomus", a little fish, about 5cm, hiding behind the heater. Intrigued, I gave the customary "oh you're a cutie aren't you? Hello. Hi." in baby talk (people stare, but I don't care) that I always give to fish I think are adorable. She came right up to the glass to look at me and presumably say hi. It was love at first sight. I called over a friend of mine who worked there and asked her what the fish was, and she didn't know. So she called over a bunch of people, who also had no idea, until there was a crowd of people, including customers who apparently got caught in the stampede, all "I don't know"ing. Finally, another employee managed to push through the crowd and pronounced her a Jack Dempsey. I believed him- I had no reason not to, and sadly went on my way. I don't think I have room for such a large fish. I came home and went to the gallery and looked up Jack Dempseys. The pictures in the galleries, as well as some pictures I found of juveniles, bear little resemblance to the fish I saw. Which then begs the question: if she wasn't a Jack Dempsey, what WAS she?
I wish I had pictures. She's about 5cm in length, a sage green, with a hint of irridescence, but nothing like the pictures on the net show Jack Dempseys as having. Her finnage actually looks more like that of a dwarf chichlid, in fact, I actually thought she was some sort of ram at first. Looking at a picture of a festive cichlid, I'd say her finnage was rather like that. She had a dark spot somewhere on her body, but I don't remember where.

Does anybody have any idea what she could be?! I have a 200L that I am probably setting up tomorrow and I'd love for you guys to say that she'd be happy in it... I realise that my description probably isn't great, and I apologise in advance. I'll keep looking in the galleries while I wait for a response...
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one knows?
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is, trying to identify baby American cichlids with a photo is already hard enough...without a photo it's pretty much pointless. Could be anything from a Curviceps to a baby Dovii...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know. My LFS reopens on Tuesday, I'm going to have to sneak a camera in and try to get a picture.
I'll post again when I get one.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: