Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Platy vs. Neons during feeding time
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Zastrus
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)12:51    Post subject: Platy vs. Neons during feeding time Reply with quote

I need advice on what to do. During feeding time, platys skim the top of the water with their mouths open and just rake in the food. Meanwhile, the neons basically just watch the 2 platys go to work.

Theres also a guppy, but he's learned to be quick. Platys were built to be top feeders, as were guppys. But neons were built to be mid-water feeders, if that makes any sense.. they have a difficult time picking off food from the top of the water.. and usually while they're fighting to pick off 1 flake from the top, a platy comes right along and snatches it up.

I've also been wondering why I've been losing neons in the past.. some of them did look shriveled.. maybe it was because they didn't get enough food?

This situation is highly, highly frustrating, and I would love and advice anyone can give me on how to help/deal with this.
-Z
eelman
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)13:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

my neons get plenty of food, and they are in with giant danios, large rainbows, smaller rainbows, and lots of other little fish. if you put in large flakes usually they will crumble when bitten, giving the neons something to eat. usually I just put in a ton of food at once because that way it gets to about midway down the tank before it is eaten, but it seems like you don't have a lot of fish so this might not be a good idea for you.

one other thing to try is instead of only feeding flakes, try some "crumbles" or "bits." these are smaller and usally sink easily.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very easy to solve this situation - put a pinch on top of the water on one side of the tank and then hold another pinch below the water on the other side of the tank and move your hand along letting it fall out under the water. The Neon's will get all they need while it floats down and the Platy's will get what's floating on top.
Zastrus
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering grabbing the Platy by it's tail and throwing it across the room, but your idea sounds more humane. Very Happy
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zastrus wrote:
I was considering grabbing the Platy by it's tail and throwing it across the room

Laughing

I feed flakes and granules at the same time. The flakes float, so the top feeders go to town on them, and the granules sink very slowly, so neons can eat those in peace. The one thing I have noticed is that it helps if I break them up a bit between my fingers first, as neons have tiny little mouths and they can't always fit the granule in there. Then again, it's kinda cute watching them chew on it, hehehe.
MattyP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem with my neons and swordtails. but if my neons try to get some from te surface the 2 swordtails charge at them. I feed them large flakes but even yet the neons barely get some and also my anelfish isn't able to either. So should I put in a bunch to make sure they all get some food?
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a tiny pinch of flakes in the return flow of my HOB filter to spread them over a large area. That way my fingers stay dry for the next tank's food Wink
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattyP wrote:
So should I put in a bunch to make sure they all get some food?

Overfeeding is just going to lower your water quality. Really, try getting some of the flakes under the surface so they sink for the midlevel feeders. Or try the different kinds of food. Granules are designed to sink slowly for fish that like to eat in the middle of the tank like neons.
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering grabbing the Platy by it's tail and throwing it across the room, but your idea sounds more humane.

lmao!

Cinder's idea works best, its what I do for my phantom tetras, who are also mid-level feeders. Though NancyD's suggestion of putting it in the return flow of the filter works too, and does keep your fingers dry if you need to feed more than one tank, hehe.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed my large tank last since that's the one I dip my fingers under the water in. That way, I can just wash my fingers off once and not worry about getting the food in the container wet, which is a very valid point to remember.
I'm sure your Platy is very happy that we were able to help you and he didn't become a flying fish! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: