Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cloudy Water - No Money
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mirage
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)11:37    Post subject: Cloudy Water - No Money Reply with quote

I have cloudy water which seems to be caused by my driftwood and my gravel. Would doing constant water changes fix the problem? I don't have money to afford a diatom filter.

My tank is 10g with a box filter that hangs off the edge of my tank. The tank is fully planted and carries 3 Albino Cories, 8 Glo-Lite Tetras, and 2 Mystery Snails.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, yes, water changes can help. Change out about 1.5 - 2 gallons every other day until it starts clearing up.

Let me ask you a couple of questions:

~ Why do you think its your driftwood and gravel?

~ Is your water actually cloudy, or is the driftwood leeching tanins into your water making it brownish?

~ How long has your tank been set up?

~ Did you cycle it properly?

~ Did you rinse your gravel before putting it in?

~ What kind of "driftwood" do you have, and did you clean it before putting it into the tank?

~ What, and how much are you feeding?

~ What is your typical maintenance routine?
Mirage
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I neglected to rinse the gravel before putting it into the tank and I didn't soak the driftwood for very long before adding it either. The tank has been set up for about 4 months. I'm feeding about 2 pinches a day for my glo-lite tetras and a small sinking pellet for my cories. I feed them 6 days a week. The tank cycled for a full month before I added any fish and it was properly cycled. (ammonia rose and went back to 0). I do a 20% water change once a week although, since the cloudyness began, I've been changing water up to 3 times a week and 25% each time.
utah2bearsplaying
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)21:28    Post subject: WATER CLOUDY!!YOU NEED TO BALANCE THE NITROGEN CYCLE!!!!! Reply with quote

This is a common fish aquarium issue, if the aquarium has been newly setup or recently overcleaned. I would recommend small water changes 10-15% two times a week. Leave the gravel alone and get some beneficial bacterial enzymes from the store. There must be enough beneficial enzymes to break down the waste or this will continue to occur. The only thing I have ever seen driftwood do is if very new it might make a harmless tea color in the water. Going on 32 years in tropical fish care here so I think I might be right. Good luck.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few other thoughts...

You said you are changing 25% of the water three times a week. In an established and balanced tank this is probably excessive, unless you have noticed jumps in ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? Utah2bearsplaying recommended smaller amounts twice a week, but you could also stick with 25% but only do it once (ie, every Sunday). This is once the cloudiness clears up, of course.

You added gravel... Did you do this recently or are you talking about gravel you added 4 months ago when you set the tank up? If it is 4 month old gravel then the cloudiness is not related to it. If this is brand-new gravel, did you take any older gravel out (ie, switching one kind for another)? If this is the case, you would have needed to do it in stages to allow the bacteria time to seed the new gravel from the old.

How big of is the "pinch of food"? Contrary to what it says on the label, you only really need to feed once per day, and can do so every other day of the week. Does all the food you feed get eaten, or are there leftovers? Leftovers contribute to poor water quality and can cause cloudiness.

Unless the driftwood was exceptionally dusty or covered in dirt, it won't be causing the cloudiness either. New driftwood will leach tannins into the water (causing the tea color Utah2bearsplaying described) but the color is clear and could not be mistaken as cloudiness.

But speaking of rinsing things, have you rinsed your filter media recently? If you did, did you use tap water or used tank water? Tap water + filter media = killed bacteria.

Good luck. : )
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: