Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Feeding catfish in community tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Tanksalot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)8:17    Post subject: Feeding catfish in community tank? Reply with quote

OK...I made a big mistake and didn't do my research as I should have. Now I need your help as I don't necessarily trust the opinions of the Petland employees on fish matters. I have a new 10g. community tank with 1 male red betta, an albino pleco, 3 wild tetrae (pink) , 1 pictus catfish and there USED to be 5 black phantom tetrae. (There are now 2...3 of which were eaten by Mr. Pictus) I have read the comments on the pictus and have the same problem that Mr. Hutzan had. The only experience I have is with cichlids that I have kept in the past. My question is, is there any kind of food that I can introduce to my pictus that he will like better that my poor tetrae? or is it the instinct of the evening hunt that I will never be able to cure him of? He never touches them or bothers them when the light is on. All the other fish get along well & seem happy and during the day, the other tetrae even swim around him...they don't seem afraid at all.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

They will eat normal fish food, but if there are prey fish on offer!!!!

To be honest I think you also have a couple of other problems, you seem to be a little overstocked for a 10 gallon tank.

The Pim could do with being in a larger tank.

What type of Pleco do you have, common ones can reach 18 inches, and need big tanks with lots of filtration.

I would imagine your tank is about 24x12x12 and would be fully stocked by the Betta and Tetras.

Any idea of what these are

Quote:
3 wild tetrae (pink)

Bob
Tanksalot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)9:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that I have not only made a mistake, but now I have embarrassed myself as well. Sheesh. The sign on the tank at the store said Wild Tetra (pink). After exploring this site, the only thing that looks close to them is the serpae, but they do not have any black on their fins and they are a very light shade of pink. Any ideas? The "albino pleco" is an albino cory. It seems that removing the catfish is the only thing left to do ...you're right. If the offer is out there he more than likely will keep eating the tetrae. This site is a wonderful reference guide and you have been of great help. Thank you.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's an Albino Cory (The albino form of the Bronze Cory). It really needs to be in a group of other Bronze (Albino or normal) of at least 5 fish, they really are happier that way.

With your tank being full up, it could be best to take it back (Or do what the rest of us do, go and buy another tank).

Don't worry about being embarressed we all do it sometimes.

I could be wrong, but I am not sure if there are actually any wild species of Tetra that are actually "Pink", it could be they are some light shaded fish, or it could be dyed fish. If you do a search on "Pink Tetra" you will find lots of references to Black Widows (The white version dyed pink).

If you can post a picture, I am sure someone on here will know what they are.

Bob
Tanksalot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://flickr.com/photos/bfraz/11810013/in/set-920495/

I found this pic of the pink tetrae that is exactly what I have. The owner says it was sold to him as a Silver Dollar! Go figure. So I'm still not sure what I have.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's not a Silver Dollor, so that's a good thing, it is a characin (Tetra) as it does have the small adipose fin just in front of the tail fin.

I will see if I can find out what it is.

Bob
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a good look at the fish again, and noticed the large anal fin.

This is causing me to think it is a dyed White skirt (Black Widow Tetra).

Gymnocorymbus ternetzi

The basic wild version is silver and black, recently they have bred colour variants of this fish and call them White Skirts. These fish have been used in the trade for dying (Injecting artificul dyes).

This practice should be stopped, if it turns out it is a dyed fish (Not the fishes fault) have a moan at the shop manager, and threaten to not buy any more fish from them until they stop selling them.

Bob
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had two very repected fishkeepers have a look at the picture and they agree with my diagnosis that is is a dyed White Skirt.

Bob
Tanksalot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my! This may be cause for a whole new subject. Is artificial dying painful or harmful to the fish in any way? These 3 particular fish were purchased at Walmart. I should perhaps have some more info if I am going to confront the manager and boycott the store. Maybe you could direct me to a site where there is more info on the subject so I can print something out to show him? Thank you again for your attention to the picture I sent.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.deathbydyeing.org
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: