Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
More New Plans
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)2:08    Post subject: More New Plans Reply with quote

I am troubled with making a very difficult decisions, the nature tank that I had posted about earlier may be turned into a biotope instead (the amazon biotope and puffer tank are all planned out) but I need some opinions.

Here are the two plans:

Commune (Nature Tank- 30 Gal):
2 (pair) Bolivian rams
3 Zebra Otocinclus
5 Takashi Amano Shrimp
5 Glass Cats
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Weather Loach
3 Betta Splendens (1 male, 2 females)

Or

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):
Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
5 Green Tiger Barbs
2 Dwarf Gourami (Male and Female)

Now I was seriously thinking of going with the Asian Biotope simply because the planted tank seemed a bit cramped and I didn't really want to lose any fish that are part of the plan. I do own a weather loach who is quite the character and I would really hate to part with him. It was a lamentable circumstance until I got the idea of making another biotope. Since I really like the idea of having an aquarium existing as natural as possible, I am leaning towards the biotope scenario.

Now I need some experienced opinions here, not just some goofballs (like me) that figure they know plenty about a fish just from research, experience is master here. Will the tiger barbs nip like crazy, or is it a plausible plan? Is that too few/too many glass cats? Will the gourami be too aggressive?

Opinions and thoughts people!!! Quick too, it's almost setup time, the has been painted!!!! And I to my stepmom for doing it for me.

Oh and BTW, the exact area I was hoping for was Thailand cause I researched and found that all these species hail from there. Except for the Dwarf Gourami, I found that they are from india, anyone know of a Common Gourami that is from thailand/indonesia area?
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the second set-up plan. :) It's something I would do myself if I could ever get my hands on a second 30 gallon.

Can't answer about the barbs and cats, but I do have Dwarf Gouramis, and if you end up going with them, be sure to get at least two females to your one male. This will keep any one female from being constantly harassed, as well as keeping the male's attention (And aggression) from the other species of fish. That's the setup I have (1 male, 2 females), and the aggression is very mild (This is also the most aggressive male I've had, so it depends on the specimen), and is usually just the male chasing (no biting) other fish out of his territory.

Also, Pearl and Moonlight Gouramis are native to Thailand. I can't give you a lot of info other than what country they're native to as I haven't owned these, but I thought I could at least share the information.
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some serious problems are now facing me, my tanks turned out not to be a 29 and 30 Gallon, but a 20 and a 25. This will affect my plans adversly and so, they will likely be changing often, possibly even daily.

The Biotopes are the main problem, the puffer tank will not be affected, and neither will my sister's tank. I have dropped the idea of the planted tank as the Asian Biotope appeals to me much more.

Here are the two biotope plans:

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):
1 Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
3 Kuhli Loaches (would replace the Sand Loaches if not purchasable)
3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable (would replace the kuhlis))

Amazonian Whitewater Biotope (29 Gal):
2 Silver Dollars
6 Marthae Silver Hatchet
4 Bronze Corydoras
2 Albino Corydoras

I think that the Asian Biotope will be fine as it is. The Amazon Biotope is my concern, since the silver dollars are already bought, I would like to keep them, they are quite nice fish. Should I downsize the number of hatchets? I know that about 5 is the minimum amount of cories if you want to see them lively and thriving. Should I drop the hatchets and move to some kind of tetra?

Assistance is needed, I am in trouble now, it's almost setup time and my long researched plans have been shattered.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tanks aren't large enough for Silver Dollors. I would consider a shoal of Tetras instead.

The Albino Cory is just the Albino form of the Bronze Cory, they will shoal and breed together.

Bob
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL I forgot to post that I knew I would hear that from people and it will likely be ignored. It's an obvious flaw in the plan, I am seriously considering getting rid of them. Thanks for the advice though, I already knew about the cories.

Thanks again

Taylor
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a couple of CD's and stick them on the front of your tank, as an idea of how big they can get.

Another point with them, is they love eating plants, and a typical Amazon Biotype with lots of plants would soon be an empty tank.

I would find a new home for them, if you can't get a hold of a 90 gallon tank.

Bob
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they seriously get that big? Of course they do, I've known that and been nieve enough to keep them. Ugh... you're right, I'm sure you've been fishkeeping much longer than I, I'll trade them in for Glass cats. Thanks for the advice.

So... I'll need to replan that biotope, I'm really keen on the asian Biotope, I think it'll work out well, the wetaher loach will grow to a size the same as the Silver Dollars, but since the loach is more eel-like I think he will fit. As for the Kuhlis, I have heard they do better in larger groups of five or more, any truth to this? Will the glass cats all fit?

Any ideas on the amazon biotope? Thta one needs replanning.

Thanks again Bob, anyone else?
Slough Shark
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if possible:

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (20 Gal):
1 Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
3 Kuhli Loaches
3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable (would replace the kuhlis))

Amazonian Biotope (25 Gal): 2 Bolivian Rams
6 Marble Hatchets or 5 Darter Tetras
4 Bronze Corydoras
2 Albino Corydoras
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: