Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
trying to save a young betta girl
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Guido Netto
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)22:43    Post subject: trying to save a young betta girl Reply with quote

hello... I'm so desperate! one of my lil 5 month old female betta girl jumped out of the tank, well actually two of them did, and I didn't notice :/ came to find them dried out on the floor, hopelessly I droped their rigid bodies in a bucket filled with water and suddenly one of them started to squash about and move, I quickly netted her and put her back into the fry tank (a 5 gal with only 9 betta now all young fry raised by me and all female, 10 if this one survives) she is swiming with lots of dificulty, and one of her eyes looks now pretty white and slightly bloated...some of the other sisters tried to bite her becoz she looks bad but she was able to hide, its a densely planted tank. is there chance for her to survive this horrible trauma? I added a few drops os Sera Aqutan in the tank to try to restore some of her skin mucus. now the tank is with the lights off and a sheet over it for total darkness so the other girls can't find her to attack her and don't bother it and go to sleep... I'm so afraid of what I may find tomorrow when I turn the lights on...
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but her survival likelihood is very small. D: Is there any way you could fairly accurately estimate how long she was out of the tank? In addition to the stress of such a trauma, after being dried out for so long, tissue and organs begin to dry up and take irreparable damage. :( Some bettas that have jumped out of tanks and dried out will survive for a few days, but then will die from various bodily function failures.

On the optimistic side, if she is still alive in the morning, I would definitely suggest moving her to a new tank and treating her separately with Bettamax or a similar medication. This will lessen the stress she is already under, and eliminate the stress of being picked on by her sisters. If nothing else, move her to a breeder net so she can at least be separated from the others.

I hope she recovers!
Guido Netto
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for replying so quickly JunBetta, I will separate her if she is alive in the morning, I took a peep a few seconds ago and shy was there resting on leaf, it seems like she can't open her dorsal and anal fins, but she can bend her body and move normaly the pectoral fins. I think she might have jumped during feeding time, they get so overly excited during feeding time, I lost a male beta fry in the past like that, they don't make a noise when they land on the floor so I don't notice, since its rare I don't always always remenber to check, but now I'm so shocked, I even cried I will be always very paranoic when I feed any tank wit h lots of fish beging for food. she must been out of water for like, at least 40 minutes or more :/

whats an equivalent to betta max? I live in brazil and I never heard of it, what it does and what does it contain? right now I only have in hand things like Azoo bacteria treater and Azoo Vitamins.. and the aqutan with VBC stress protection.

I really hope she recovers, I'm gonne lose my sleep over this :/ like, how many days has to pass to be certain that she will definetly live on?

thanks again!!
Guido Netto
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...sadly she is already gone Sad((((
but anyway thanks for answering... now I'm officialy PARANOID about checking the surroundings after feeding ANY tank. I don't want to lose anymore healthy fish over such a horrid way. sorry if it sounded like I'm venting hehe
its just how I feel, I'm sure you understand Smile

thanks Smile
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to have a cover for each tank. That will help and you can sleep better too.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry about her. :( It's horrible losing a fish to anything, but I know this is especially painful simply because they were healthy when they jumped. I completely understand -- I also lost a female betta like this, however by the time I discovered her she was already dead.

In answer to your questions, I don't know any specific brand names, but the 'ingredients' section of Bettamax reads like this: '250 mg capsules of water soluble nitrofurazone, methylene blue, PVP, vitamins, NaCl, sulfas: methazine, diazine and merazine,' it's meant to treat things like bacterial infections, fungal infections, mouth and body fungus, fraying tails and fins, listlessness, poor appetite, splits or holes in fins and tails, poor water quality, discoloration, and vitamin deficiency, so if you have something with a similar content it should work to the same results. It was recommended to me by a very reputable breeder, so I trust it. :)

In fish that survive jumping out of tanks and partially drying up, it's hard to say how long a fish can go before it will die of bodily failures. I would say if they fish were to make it past two weeks and was eating, it would definitely be safe. Again, I'm sorry about your little girl betta, and I sincerely hope this doesn't happen to you and your fish again.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry.

I just lost my female betta last week the same way. She jumped while I was doing a water change and I didn't notice until about an hour later. She was still alive 24hrs later but looking worse and worse; when I noticed she was upside down and gasping for breath, I euthanized her. I felt guilty too, for not having noticed when she jumped. She was so fiesty and so healthy.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: