Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Unleveled Aquarium question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)18:25    Post subject: Unleveled Aquarium question Reply with quote

I leveled my 20 gallon aquarium without water and it was right on. but once it was full of water its off by a lot.
How do I go about to fix this?

Let me know if you would like to see a few pictures.
lucky
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

how unlevel is it?

try putting a piece of stryrofoam under it (between the tank and the stand)
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by a lot? If the level is 1/2 inch or more difference front to back on a rectangular tank, I would drain at least 50 percent of the water and shim beneath the stand. Shimming beneath the tank will cause stress at the base of the tank.
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a half an inch differnce. The thing is that I did put stryrofoam underneath before adding the water and it was leveled then. but when full its unleveled.
I'll figure something out.
Thanks
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 30 is about an inch unleveled and its been like that for about 4 years with no problem. You could try and take out about 25-50% of the water and have a few people lift it since that will bring the weight down to only about 80pounds to lift.
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)12:06    Post subject: Re: Unleveled Aquarium question Reply with quote

innatrance4556 wrote:
I leveled my 20 gallon aquarium without water and it was right on. but once it was full of water its off by a lot.
How do I go about to fix this?

Let me know if you would like to see a few pictures.

When adding significant water weight to a tank, whatever structure that is supporting the aquarium that is not rigid will settle.

For this reason, tank installation on concrete (often in unfinished basements) is the best scenario, followed by stone/ceramic tiles on double-layered laminated plywood subflooring against load-bearing walls.

I had a similar problem with my tank and the anal-retentiveness in me finally did something about it. 75% water change, complete tank teardown, cleaning, installed these on each corner of the base of my stand:

adjustable steel glides

inserted into these:

pronged t-nuts

Goodbye, good-for-nothing wood shims!

If you can get stainless steel adjustable glides with the swivel ball bearings, that's your best bet for leveling a tank of any size. They should be at least an inch wide.

Since my tank is against a non load-bearing wall and on laminate flooring (w/ foam inlay below it), I had one b*tch of a time keeping my stand level on both axes and wobble-free. I've noticed that since my installation, the floor settled on one side, separating from the bottom of the baseboard by as much as 1/4". But at least my tank is now perfectly level.

Leveling your aquarium on both axes is crucial to avoid long-term damage to the glass. Over time, unequally-distributed water weight can cause stress cracks.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: