Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
External Filter Confusion
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
chimpboyjay
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)9:34    Post subject: External Filter Confusion Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my new 55G and I am at the stage of buying my equipment.

For the filtration I think I'm going to use a Ehiem 2224, as this is my first external filter I have a few questions.

Does anyone have any experience with this filter, is it any good?

How oten does the meda in an external filter need to be changed, is it like a internal filter once a fortnight?

Thanks in advance,

Bye!
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ehiem is always good. It is rated up to 65 g. I guess it will be OK with 55g. I would go a bit higher but this should be OK.

You do once a month (or longer) clean up of the filter media. Leave the bio media along and only clean the fiber moss or sponge. Use tank water to clean it, not the tap water. You may need to replace the fine fiber moss from time to time. The best way to tell is if you see the flow rate drops, then it is time to do the clean up.

The advantage of cannister filter is you are free to put any media in there. I would have some bio media in there for sure, then add some fine fiber moss to catch the small particles.

Hope this helps
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to replace internal filter media once a fortnight, just clean it. If you continually change it you are throwing away a lot of your bacteria that cycle the tank.

I clean my external filters every few months, we do my boy's one a bit more often, but his tank carries more stock and larger fish than mine.

Start off monthly (Cleaning), and lesson it if it doesn't need it.

Bob
chimpboyjay
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so I shouldnt really need to change the media, just wash them; I'm glad that thats been cleared up.

Thanks again.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have fine fiber moss, you may need to replace them from time to time. If you find that your filter flow rate does slows down easily, maybe it is time for you to do that.

If you only have sponges and bio media, no need to replace them at all. Just wash the sponges in tank water will be fine. Don't do anything to the bio media.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: