Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Clown Loache behavior?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jkparrot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)8:55    Post subject: Clown Loache behavior? Reply with quote

Confused
45 gallon Fresh water tank
1 Fairly large parrot,1 Small Parrot
2 Clown Loaches
9 Tiger Barbs
1 Pleco

I have been watching some odd behaior in my Clown Loaches recently involving the large Parrot fish.I have watched them sort of feed off of the Parrot.
The Loaches tend to get right into the gills of the Parrot.They get there mouths under the Parrots gills and hang on.Almost as if there is something there that they want.They get right in there and the Parrots try to fend them off by swimming in a circle but cannot get away.This has happened many times.Eventually the Loaches back off, but I am curious as to what this is all about.

Is there some sort of parasite that the Loaches eat?What can it be?
Any help would be appreciated.
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many fish including cichlids pass bits of food out of their gills when they eat. That's probably what your loaches are doing-- looking for the food. Although it could be some gill parasite I think it's less likely, I haven't heard of many fish that eat them. The loaches may need to be moved if they are too aggressive about it, but eventually they, & I think the parrots, will outgrow your tank.
Nancy
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nancy, your Parrots, Clown Loaches and Pleco (If it is a common) are all to large for a 45 gallon tank in the medium term (OK for a short time whilst very young).

Clown Loaches are also a shoaling fish and really need to be in large groups (In very large tanks).

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/clown-loach-chromobotia-macracanthus

Bob
patarick
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of angelicus loaches in my tank, and they do a simillar thing to my Fire eel (slither) he gets a bit annoyed sometimes, and nips back, but generally no harm done, I think its just the loaches getting a bit excited while they are feeding, it just a thought.
It just seems like harmless annoyence to me haha.
jkparrot
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info but I'mnot sure about looking for food since it's been a couple of days since I have fed them. You are probably right though it may just be looking for food.
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had skunk loaches that did that to cichlids too although at the time it seemed they went for the gill tissue not just food bits. Part of the problem may have been keeping only 2 of a shoaling species but they were they aggressive fin-nippers too. Once the behavior started there was no cure other than to rehome them. Clowns IME haven't done that but I have 6 & no cichlids with them.
Nancy
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: