Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
test kits
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Your hardness will not change over the cycle period. Hardness is important when selecting fish (although most common aquarium fish are quite adaptable), but not during cycling.
How are you cycling the tank, fishless, w/ fish, or silent? If with fish- what fish are you using? In any case it doesn't look like it's really started yet- cycles can take anywhere from a few weeks to a month, depending on how it's done. You can speed up the cycle by adding mulm, filter media, etc from an existing tank if you have one. Otherwise, you'll have to wait it out. Very Happy
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh I have one zebra danio in my tank right now.
I don't know any friends with tanks where I could get media or anything from.

so what should I look for to know when the cycle has started, and how often should I test?

the fish has only been in the tank for about 20 hours and I read somewhere to do water changes once every 5 days while cycleing with fish and to use amquel plus with your water change to keep fish stress down.
loveforfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as the GH I just tested and it said to count the drops from red to green,

I never saw read it went from light green to medium green to darker green and so on, does that mean its really soft water or is there somethgin wrong with the test?
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should be doing more frequent changes than every 5 days lff, if u want your zebra danio to be healthy... from what I've come to understand, u should change some every other to everyday ...some is arbitrary to how many buckets u fell like carrying... my 29 took about 3 weeks to cycle w/ 3 fish and a lot of plants

good luck
flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about doing water changes every day or at least every other day. I cycled with plants and fish but did a lot of water changes and I never saw a spike in either ammonia or nitrites.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)10:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you should test ammonia every day or so. You'll know the tank has started cycling when the ammonia levels start to rise. Eventually, it will peak and start falling- at this point you should start testing for nitrite, which will rise, peak, then fall. When nitrite has gone back to zero, do a big water change. Then the tank is theoretically safe for fish.
However, since you're cycling with only one fish, there will only be enough bacteria in the tank to handle the bioload of one fish... So you'll have to add fish very slowly so the tank has time to adjust, and of course continue to test for ammonia and nitrite often to be sure nothing has spiked.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: