Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any suggestions what fish to get
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
innatrance4556
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)20:02    Post subject: Any suggestions what fish to get Reply with quote

Any suggestions what fish to get for a 20 gallon freshwater tank?
I like colorful fish. I also like the red tailed black shark but I was reading that they get big and need a 40 gallon aquarium.

What book would be good for info on all freshwater fish?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes red tails get very large and even a 40gal isnt really big enough. I assume your tank is new and jsut got down cycling, so I would stay away from the more sensitive fish. You could get some Neons or any variety of Tetra. You could also go with Tiger barbs but gotta be careful what else you put in there. Some Dwarf Gouramis would be nice in there too. Go to www.Liveaquaria.com and look around, if you plan on buying 25+ dollars worth of fish then buy from there if not then just use it as a reference.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice tank.
How old is it?
75l/20g is a nice size tank- I have one myself. There are a lot of options, but it doesn't take up a lot of space. I would agree that rtb sharks are probably out of the picture, though.
I would recommend a nice peaceful community- some bottom dwellers, a nice school of small tetras or rasboras, and a centrepiece fish.
You didn't mention your pH or hardness, so I'll only list fish that are reasonably adaptable...

BOTTOM DWELLERS (all of the following need to be kept in at least a trio)
-Corydoras spp.- (Leopards, Peppereds, Pandas, etc are all nice, but check out the gallery and your LFS for more options)
-Loaches- zebra, yoyo, dwarf, etc. Once again, check the gallery. Just watch SIZES! Some loaches can get very, very big. Stay away from Clowns- while they are small and managable at your LFS they will eventually need a 400L (over 100 gal) tank. I kid you not.
-Otocinclus- While I've heard people say these are not good beginner fish, I like them. They are relatively good at eating algae (they're no plecos, but they also don't put out nearly as much waste nor get as big) and cute as all get out. Make sure they get lots of veggie matter in their diet and you shall succeed in Otodom.

SCHOOL (get at least six of one of the following, or they will be skittish and not show all of their colour)
-Harlequin Rasboras- don't be fooled by the scared, washed-out fish you will find at your LFS. Given good lighting, clean water, and a healthy diet, these diminuative fish turn into swimming jewels that pictures can not do justice.
-Neon Tetras- the old standby. You might also try Cardinals, which are generally more expensive but also grow larger and are more colourful.
-Ember Tetras- Never personally kept, but they look gorgeous...
-Leopard/Zebra danio- Frenetic little beasts, but fun, and if well kept, have a hint of irridescence. Pearls are supposed to be nice too, but never personally kept them.
-Marbled Hatchetfish- (aka Flying Fish Wink) maybe not what you're looking for if you're going for colour, but I had to mention them. One of my favourites, their interesting shape lends texture to the fish tank. You could keep a trio of these with 6 of any of the above except the danios.

CENTREPIECE (one or a pair)
-Dwarf Gourami- if you do get a pair of these, be careful you don't get two males. Females are easily distinguishable from males, even to the layperson, but they aren't nearly as colourful and smaller LFS's don't usually stock them.
-Betta splendens- It is an ongoing debate as to whether these do well in Community tanks. In my experience, they do. Just make sure he has a nice place to get away from the fervour of the tank. You could get a male, or two females, but don't get a male and a female and DEFINITELY don't get two males.
-Killifish- these have been recommended to me but I've never had one. They are not readily available in any LFS I've ever been to, but there are breeders everywhere. As for specific species, you'd have to ask someone else... Wink
Let me know what you choose!

Last edited by Liszie on 2006.12.29(Fri)11:00; edited 1 time in total
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish wrote:
-Betta splendens- It is an ongoing debate as to whether these do well in Community tanks. In my experience, they do. Just make sure he has a nice place to get away from the fervor of the tank. You could get a male, or two females, but don't get a male and a female and DEFINITELY don't get two males.

Just adding to this, and I know not everyone will agree with me, but I think it should be said. If you consider a male betta for a centerpiece fish, I suggest staying away from the crowntail variety. Veiltails and, if you can find them, doubletails (sometimes called "split-tails" or "twin tails") are usually mild enough to be wonderful centerpiece fish (although this varies sometimes as well), but crowntails just seem to be born with a bad fishy attitude. I've had several different CTs over the years -- different colours, ages, sizes, etc. -- and not a single one of them has ever been good community fish. They are beautiful and tempting to put in there, but in my experience, he'll just end up terrorizing the rest of the community.
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I knew betta personalities differed from specimen to specimen, but I didn't know variety had anything to do with it.
What exactly makes a crowntail different from others? All of the bettas I have kept have just been your average LFS betta- I wouldn't know how to tell what type they were, and I presume innatrance is in the same boat...
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. That site is awesome.
Whats LFS? I see that a lot.
I have a crowntail betta already. he's in a bowl right now.

Quote:
You didn't mention your pH or hardness, so I'll only list fish that are reasonably adaptable...

I'm an amatuer so be nice.
I'm going to buy a test kit soon to test the water. It sucks I live so far away from a pet store.

Quote:
Nice tank. How old is it?
Thanks. I just bought this aquarium about a week ago.
24x12x18

other aquariums I have that are for future projects.
48x12x18
30x12x12
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

FlyingFish, >here< is a picture of one of my male crowntails. You can see that the webbing has been pulled back at least 1/3 from the tips of the rays on all three major fins, and while there are a few variations, that's your basic definition of a crowntail. From what I understand, most betta varieties have been "diluted" as far as aggression goes through the years. However, the reason crowntails have become more aggressive is because the breeders used "plakats" in the developing line. A plakat is the "true fighter" betta, a short-finned powerhouse variety that's known for it's serious aggression. So we can thank the plakats for the crowntail's attitude. :P That's how I've best understood it, anyway, but really information about how some varieties came about are rather vague, so don't quote me on that. n_n''

Innatrance, LFS is short for local fish store. n_n

As for your crowntail, in his bowl by himself is probably the happiest place both for him and your future 20 gallon community.

Speaking of that community, have you been able to find some species of fish that you've really liked? n_n? I hope you'll post pics as you continue setting up the aquarium. :D Good luck!
Liszie
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I'm an amatuer so be nice.
I'm going to buy a test kit soon to test the water. It sucks I live so far away from a pet store.

Sorry, I had no intention of being anything but. I totally understand what it's like to be far away from a fish shop. I'm lucky that I live near a big city, but ironically, the best shop I've been to so far is just down the road... Very Happy
The truth is, I've kept the vast majority of the fish I listed (you'll note that I made sure to mention that I hadn't kept the ones I... hadn't kept) and although most are listed as needing soft, acidic water in the gallery, they have all done fine in my 8.0, 9 deg GH water. If you have hard alkaline water, and you want fish that are really going to love it, consider african cichlids (shellies would be nice in a tank that size, but you'd have to change out the substrate) or livebearers.

Jun-
Thanks for the info! Most of the LFS bettas right now are crowntails but my dear Quark isn't. I'm kind of glad, he's in a fair sized tank alone and I wanted to give him some tankmates.
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was browsing sites that have pics and info of fish and realized that I need to buy one of those test kits to find out that stuff.
So I bought
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit
Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Fresh Hard/Carbon Test Lab

So when I will recieve it in a few days I'll let you all know the hardness of the water.
I'm so confused with all these pH, KH symbols. I have to say I learned a lot about fish in the last few weeks from reading info on the internet. If it wasn't for the internet I would problay do the same thing as most beginners and listen to the walmart guy and get home and the fish die because they don't know anything about the fish.lol

Quote:
Sorry, I had no intention of being anything but

No I was just saying I'm an amatuer. I've been on so many boards and people down talk people when they ask a simple question. But so far nobody on this forum hasn't. Thank you
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry we will in time Wink

Bob
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: