Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pH 8.5! Now What?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean dGH and dKH? Thats actually not too bad...hardness is fine, just have to pull down the carbonate hardness level.

I probably wouldn't mess with peat in this case (if you don't know what you're doing, you can cause flunctuations in water parameters), personally I'd use RO water but I s'pose a phosphate buffer could be used (RO highly preferable).
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to use RO water were would I get it?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, either purchase a RO filter or buy RO/distilled water from the supermarket.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will RO water lower carbonate hardness? What else can lower it?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like I'm reiterating myself somehow...

Dilution of tap water with RO/distilled water or peat filtration both lower carbonate hardness (KH) and therefore lower the pH.

A phosphate based buffer will not lower KH, but lower pH to a certain extent.
khulsberg
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)2:32    Post subject: Watch the buffer products Reply with quote

a lot of the pH buffer products like proper pH 6.5 & 7 use phosphate to obtain the pH level. Never use with a planted tank and get ready for some algae to show up. You will also see mineral precipitate on the glass and filter equipment. It can be a tough job to remove it. I used to use these buffers but quit because of the other problems that come with them.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I located a water depot a couple blocks from were I live. They sell RO water there. If I did use half RO and half tap water, what would happen to;

pH 8.5
gh 5.5
KH 13.5

by the way, the water tested goes through a water softener (otherwise the gh is higher than 14). Is that OK?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you cut half and half with RO, you would end up with water that has 2.25dGH and 6.75dKH. According to a CO2 chart, you would then probably have a pH of 7.8 (typically CO2 is at about 5ppm offhand).

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22507

Water softeners typically exchange Ca++ and Mg++ for Na+. Not changing much from your fish's point of view, only on the test kit. I would use unsoftened water because that will give you the right readings.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I do RO water with my tap water (hard) I should have about GH 7, KH 7, and pH maybe 7.8. I want to keep cardinal tetras, what would be the highest hardness I could do for that? I was also wondering: First, I tested my hard waters pH yesterday but the test water was a random shade of blue and I couldn't figure out what it was. When I layed it on its side it thinned out and looked like pH 7. Thats not how its supposed to be right? Secondly, the water coming out of my tap can't be heated (only one nob). What could I do to get it the proper temp.?
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to keep cardinal tetras, what would be the highest hardness I could do for that?

Can't give you an exact figure, and I don't think many if any others can. There is no black and white, only endless shades of gray.

Quote:
First, I tested my hard waters pH yesterday but the test water was a random shade of blue and I couldn't figure out what it was. When I layed it on its side it thinned out and looked like pH 7. Thats not how its supposed to be right?

Can't tell you, check the test kit instructions or at least say which test kit it is so someone who uses the same test can advise you on it.

Quote:
Secondly, the water coming out of my tap can't be heated (only one nob). What could I do to get it the proper temp.?

How much does the temperature change when you do a waterchange? I don't bother to adjust the temperature on new water - there only ends up being a 1-2 degree change maximum and hasn't caused any harm so far.

S'pose you could boil some and readd it back in to get to the right temperature or purchase another heater and leave it in the bucket for a day if you really feel that you have to.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: