Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
sick Kribs
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
zalanz
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)17:33    Post subject: sick Kribs Reply with quote

Any ideas?
I have lost 4 Kribensis recently. One day they are doing fine, then suddenly seem to stay at the top of the tank for several hours and then die! No visible signs of disease and water tests are fine. One pair recently bred in the tank too.
Only thing I wonder is frozen food OK? It could be after I fed them frozen daphnia / blooodworm but am not sure about this.
Any help please?
zalanz
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)1:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nitrate levels around 60ppm
pH 7.8
Nitite 0
Ammonia 0
Hardness 16dh
Carbonate Hardness 3dh
tylermb20
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Nitrate level is high, would try and do some water changes to lower that because nitrate levels should always be below 50 at the very least, also pH level is high for Kribensis , they tend to like LOW pH level.

Usually if something like this happens you see no visible signs it is usually (not always) the water condition, the pH and Nitrate are hight so I would start with that, it might not be the cause but it will help them.

Did you recently set this tank up? if so you might have added the Kribensis before the tank had a chance to cycle? also what is your stock in the tank because it could also be a overstocked tank.
zalanz
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank has been established for months now.
The tank is 4ft long
The stocking is as follows:
1 Red Shark
4 Agassizi dwarf Cichlids
6 guppies
1 pleco
1 loach
10 neons
5 rumy nose tetras

The Kribensis raised succesfully about a dozen youngsters in this tank.

Sadly both male and female are now dead
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the main source of you high Nitrates is your Plec, if it is a Common Plec, it is a very messy fish (Put out lots of Ammonia) and they can grow to 18 inches, they are normally kept in much larger tanks.

Can you confirm your Loach species.

Most Loaches are shoaling fish, they can grow to anything from 3 inches up to very large fish like Clown Loaches, given they should be in a shoal they need a really big tank.

Got to admit I wouldn't keep Kribs with other Cichlids, and I am not sure about keeping them with a Red Shark.

Do lot's more water changes to try and keep you Nitrates (And all the growth hormones etc) much lower, I would aim for 20ppm.

Hope that helps.

Bob
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: