Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Another Cory question.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)14:00    Post subject: Another Cory question. Reply with quote

About three weeks ago I added 3 panda cories to my 47 gallon (USA gallon)tank. 2 of them have settled down and are feeding well, and are very active and growing. However one of them has stayed quite small, is pale in colour (the others have darkened slightly) and doesn't seem to feed much. It spends a lot of time dashing up and down the glass at the front of the tank from the bottom to near the surface and back again. After a while it sits on the bottom for a short time, apparently exhausted, and then starts again. It is really quite distressing to see.

All other fish are peaceful community fish and the tank is well planted. Ammonia and nitrites are zero and nitrates about 3. I do 75% weekly water changes and all other fish look very healthy. I've had no other problems. Am planning to get 3 more panda cories in the next week or two, I know they don't like being in such small numbers.

Has anyone got any idea why this fish is like this? It looks as though it is suffering. Should I take it out and kill it - don't want it to slowly suffer and die but would like to give it a chance if it might recover. Any ideas/suggestions??
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)16:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry your fish is having trouble, I'd wait to get more. Are his gills red, any other symptoms? Your water changes are quite large, is there a big difference between your tap water & tank, pH,KH temp etc? A quaratine tank is always good if possible.
I've read pandas are sometimes a bit delicate when new. I have some small ones too & they seem "hyperactive" compared to other cory species I've had in the past.They are younger than others I remember, maybe that makes a difference.
What are your "peaceful" tankmates? I've had some surprising bully individuals.
Don't give up yet, others may have suggestions.
Nancy
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda's are a sensative fish, who really prefer a mature tank, how long has your tank been running?

Why are you doing such large water changes? Any chance of a full stock list?

Bob
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank has 6 golden barbs, 6 neon tetras, 8 rasboras and a pair of dwarf gourami. All appear healthy and very peaceful and I've not noticed any bullying at all. pH of tap water is about 7 and in tank is about 6.5

The other 2 pandas are fine and growing well and look very healthy too. This particular one has behaved like this right from the start - I thought at first it was just stressed and would settle down. I get the impression something has happened to it before I had it. Or could it still be stress from being moved? It is now quite a bit smaller than the other two - it just doesn't seem to be growing. Its top fin has always been a bit damaged but it isn't getting any worse. Not sure when this happened but the guy in the shop who caught them took a long time about it and was quite rough when netting them and they were chased around far too much for my liking.

Hard to tell about the gills, have had a look and possibly might be a bit redder than the other two pandas. Hard to compare properly since its body is so much paler.

As for the large water changes, having read around quite a bit I found the theories behind the benefits of large water changes seemed to make sense. Oh, and the tank was fishless cycled, which took about 4 weeks and then was slowly stocked over several more weeks, with the pandas the last to be added.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really is no need to do such large changes, for tanks with normal stocking levels (And your seem prefectly normal) I would do no more than 25% per week (I reckon your tank is a UK 40 gallon or 48x15x18), I have one of these with breeding Angels, and I do no more than 10 gallons per week.

I would be different if you had Discus (Need very high water quality) or Mbuna (Normally heavily stocked), but even then I wouldn't do more than 50%.

It isn't unusual to see the odd Panda die shortly after moving to a new tank, just give it time and hope it pulls through.

I would consider getting a few more Pandas (When things have settled down, as like all Cory's they really are happier in larger groups.

Hope all goes well.

Bob
NancyD
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be he was damaged or severely stressed at the lfs, if so there's not much you can do except wait. I think, if you feel the need, 2 smaller water changes per week is better than 1 large one. I change 15-20% usually twice a week in my 20g panda tank. It's also my QT & has many very small fish--apistos, kuhlis & rasboras, a little overstocked for eventual adults but OK for now. Good luck.
Nancy
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)8:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replys. And nice to know I've got stocking levels right - as a beginner its so hard to tell.

As for the little cory, it has finally started to settle! Since late last night and again all this morning, it has been spending all its time on the bottom with the other two cories and seems to be feeding properly and behaving normally, so I'm really hoping that is the end of it. I'm so pleased I left it for a bit longer - I nearly removed and killed it the other night as I couldn't stand to see it so distessed and I really thought it was slowly dieing.

I think it must have read my post and decided it had better stop messing about!

Will be off to try to get three or four more pandas after the New Year break. Only bought three before because that was all they had left - they sell out very quickly. Will also try another shop - didn't like the way the guy handled them. Thanks again.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)10:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bit of a treck up the A38, but try and visit Wharf Aquatics (Just before the A38 crosses the M1).

Wharf Aquatics, 65-67 Wharf Road, Pinxton, Nottinghamshire. NG16 6LH

http://www.wharfaquatics.CO2.uk/

The owner of the other board I go on works there, it really is worth a visit, I made it there in October (Actually from Birmingham), so I know the route, and it's easy to find once you manage to get out of Brum (Spagetti junction etc).

Bob
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't b too worried about the cory as long as his/her stressfull nature has settled. about 2 months ago I purchased 3 corys and have noticed 2 of them have grown significantly while the last is much smaller. in fact I have noticed it w/ many different breeds (when purchasing groups of clown loaches, tetras and rtb sharks) it could be a male/female thing, it could just be the pecking order of the fish although if I am going to loose one, it is almost always the smallest. Sad

*of the 3 rtb sharks I have (they were all in a community doing fine together) one was noticably smaller so I moved him to his own tank and he has since grown to the size of the others. I have never bothered doing this w/ my corys but it would probably work although he might be lonely for a bit....
kezzie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the map. Will definately go and take a look. Its still pale and clearly smaller but is behaving normally still. And I hadn't thought about a male/female size difference.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: