Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
rtb shark eggs?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)23:51    Post subject: rtb shark eggs? Reply with quote

I couldn't sleep tonite and decided it was a good time to "redecorate" my 29 gallon tank; including a new background, additional gravel and a bunch of new plants.

the tank contains 2 mature angels, 5 misc. corries and 1 yes I know it will outgrow the tank rtb shark along w/ a slew of plants and some driftwood

I had the tank about 1/2 empty (or half full but I can't sleep so it's 1/2 empty..) and the internal-suction-cupped-to-the back-pos-filter came unstuck [in time..] (haha.. I feel like billy pilgrim Wink ). since it was off, I decided to move it so I could wipe the interior back glass down, when I discovered a small "sack" of eggs - about fourteen white eggs inside of a jelly on the back side of the filter casing.

now I have seen pictures of corrie eggs and I must say that they look an awful lot like the pics I've seen and it would kindof make sense considering that I have 5 corries... BUT... the rtb shark (which is only slightly larger than 2") is constantly coming and going from that spot (which I'm not sure an adult corrie could get to). unfortunately I think I damaged the jelly so who knows what'll happen (there's only 1 rtbs in the tank so I guess it doesn't matter anyways)

if anyone has a clue about rtb sharks laying eggs I'd love to hear it... or am I wrong and they are corrie eggs... I took pictures but a 2 mp camera doesn't do too well w/ up close detail....

the only other info I can give about the rtb shark is that it was the smallest of 3- all purchased at the same time at the same size from what I read on AOA it appears to be female as its dorsal fin does not have a right angle bend in it..
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about this but here is my theroy. It can't be the RTBS. There is only one, and from what I've read they are nearly impossible to breed. Could be the corries, but I doubt that because you said you had 5 misc. ones. I don't think they would interbreed. Don't know for sure though. If they are really small I'm gunna say its snail eggs. They leave little gel egg sacks and can get anywhere in your aquarium. Watch out because they can get out of control. Let us know what happens!

Dave
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brave Dave wrote:
Could be the corries, but I doubt that because you said you had 5 misc. ones. I don't think they would interbreed. Don't know for sure though.

I have 3 leopard corries (2 are juvenile), 1 peppered (juvenile) and 1 albino... so I guess it gould have been the leopards or the adult leopard and the albino as it is an adult also.

I don't think they are snail eggs as they seem too large and are not of the syrofoam loaking vaiety -though I could be wrong- I've bought a lot of plants the last few months and have found more than one snail on them (which I transfer to my tank w/ clown loaches -lunchy munchies)

couldn't a single female lay eggs?
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.01(Mon)19:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the egss got damaged and will not hatch....
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggs in a jelly like sack are snail eggs, not fish eggs. I know of no fresh water fish that store eggs in any coating. Sorry...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: