Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Buying Maintenance Equipment
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)18:05    Post subject: Buying Maintenance Equipment Reply with quote

I need to buy some maintenace equipment for my 30 gal. tank and just wanted to ask everyone what products they use. I have seen the Jungle Lab quick dip test strips 6 in 1 which looks like a good deal. I also saw some Genesis dechlorinator. Also, does anyone know of a good gravel vac that is cheap but efficiant? I have seen the Big Al's gravel vac, but is there anything with an auto start mechanism? I think I will stay away from the Python.
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

For testing I would seriously invest in AP Master Test Kit, liquid tests are more accurate then the strips. On my 10gal I use a Lee's gravel vac that has a self primer. As far as dechlorinater goes make sure it also neutralizes chloramine.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)9:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concerning the liqiud test kit, it looks like it would last a while but I've heard some people saying that they can't tell if the chemicals from the last test are in the tube. You probably just have to clean it really well. For the dechlorinator, I'm pretty sure it covers chloramines but I'll be sure to check incase. As far as the gravel vaccum, the Big Al's one just seamed cheaper. In a book I saw a gravel vac with a little squeezy bulb thing that you squeeze to get that flow going. Is that like yours because I checked Petsmart's website and it was like a Python. How much did yours cost?
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)19:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Big Al's today and got;

A Tetra brand liquid test kit
A Big Al's gravel vac
And some Big Al's dechlorinator

That was pretty much what was cheapest...
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well to clean all you have to do I rinse the tubes out in some water, they are glass so its easy to clean, don't know how you can't tell if there are any in the tube. For the gravel vac, it doesn't have a bulb, you shack it and it has a little plunger that moves back in forth causing a vacuum
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the test kit yesterday to test my houses pH. The test was fine but my pH was 8.5!!! Do you know anything that lowers pH?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: