Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
bp has a black mouth
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
peaches
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)1:12    Post subject: bp has a black mouth Reply with quote

We have a 56 gallon tank, for 4 months, with 2 small blood parrots, 2 med.size bp's, 1 betta, 2 small yellow labs. Last week we added the 1 med size bp and the yellow labs. Yesterday when we woke up our bp has a black mouth and some black on his body. The pH is at 7, the ammonia was .5-1. We did a 50 percent water change yesterday. I had a ahli cichlid in there that was scratching so I added itch x to the tank one time. All the other fish appeared to be OK, but the ahli was dead the next morn. This was right after I added the other fish. Someone please tell me what this might be. He is eating like a horse and seems to feel fine.
Sudo
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blood parrots get black spots when they change colors. All of them get this strange phenomena some time or another. He could end up orange, yellow, red, or he could keep the black spots forever! good luck...
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know much about blood parrots, but your tank is overstocked and your ammonia levels are WAY too high! The bp's will all get about 10-11 inches full grown, and the yellow labs will also get atleast 5 inches. I am glad your betta insn't in a bowl, but it won't last long in your tank full of aggressive cichlids. Ammonia levels over .5 ppm are generally described as toxic and I am surprised your fish are still alive.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: