Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
non messy floater for starting up new tank?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
agentho
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)23:44    Post subject: non messy floater for starting up new tank? Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
I'm looking for an easy floating plant that will help with controlling nitrates in my tank while I decide on the design and reduce livestock. Stuff like frogbit, salvia, etc...look cool but I was afraid that it would be messy to get rid of. Meaning that if I didn't want it in my final aquascape, I didn't want one leaf of this stuff to become a problem that I need to deal with again and again (much like the weeds on my lawn). I thought I'd take the floaters out eventually since I don't want it to interfere with getting other plants light. I'm already at low on light...

Btw, here are the specifics of my tank, if anyone has comments...let me know if this'll work

Tank: 7g
Lighting: 14w flourescent
substrate: eco-complete
fauna: panda cories, oto (zebra danios that I'm getting rid of), maybe add some shrimp? I think their bioload is minimal
Plants (still deciding and researching):
maybe pearl grass (midground), hygro polysperma (background), riccia (foreground/accent plant), anubia nanas petite (fore/midground)
CO2: no injected but planning to use Flourish Excel
Fertilizing: none planned for now

Thanks, that's all folks!
Jose
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first plant that comes to my mind is Hornwort, Ceratophyllum demersum. It grows very quickly and since it is a kind of stem plant it would be easy to remove from the tank ounce you have finished with it.
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water sprite is easy to remove as well.

Btw, pearlweed (Hemianthus micranthemoides) will grow under that light, but it will stretch out and look "leggy".
Aquaspot World
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you already replied to your own post when you started it. Salvinia and Limnobium species are good floaters and are easy to remove when you are done with them.

They are able to utilize CO2 from the air so additional care is not required.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: