Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What Else??
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)23:12    Post subject: What Else?? Reply with quote

This week I am adding 10 Neon Tetras to my 26 gallon with a current stock of 4 platies and 4 ghost shrimp. I wanted advice on a center piece fish. I was thinking of a Dwarf Gourami, but I am not sure. Would a German Blue Ram be alright? My pH is 7, and I do water changes once or twice a month. Please give me some advice and suggestions. Be creative

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
Ryan101
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add a Bolivian Ram. I have 2 in my 55 and they are nothing but entertaining. They are VERY photogenic. My 2 are not skiddish at all. Theyll sit by the glass and watch me as I clean the tank, kind of like a little audience. They are awesome fish.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)4:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rams need a high water quality, they don't do well in newish setup's.

Whatever fish you choose I would advise increasing your water changes to 15/20% weekly, or at least 25% fortnightly. Keeping good water is the key to keeping healthy fish.

Dwarf Gourami are going through a lot of disease problems at the moment, as Ryan mentioned Bolivian Rams are good, and so are Keyhole Cichlids. Both species are a little larger than Rams, but with good tank maintenace they should be OK.

Bob
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)7:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that keyhole cichlids may be a better idea since dwarf gourami stock recently isn't very good and from what I've heard, blue rams are quite demanding.

Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed in the pets shops (I went to 3 today) that their Gouramis have looked awful. They look sick, and just different. I will look into a keyhole cichlid. I did get 11 Neons today. They are extremely shy. Hanging around at the bottom together.

29 Gallon Reef Tank: 1 Black Percula, 1 TR Percula, 1 Yellow Watchmen & Pistol Shrimp, 1 Six-line Wrasse, 1 Cleaner Shrimp
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Bolivian Rams! lol WOuld any of you recomend a mated pair? If so, how much do you think they would cost?

flyjawn
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
I really like the Bolivian Rams! lol WOuld any of you recomend a mated pair? If so, how much do you think they would cost?

I LOVE my bolivians. they are getting prettier and more colourful every week. (I've had them for 2 months now). they have really great personalities too, so nosey and they get along with everyone in my tank (cardinal and phantom tetras, otos, cories)

I got two and I have no idea if they are male or female but they seem to get along famously. mine cost $4.50 each I think.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: