Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New to aquariums *Excited*
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Marconis
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)21:14    Post subject: New to aquariums *Excited* Reply with quote

Hello, I'm 15 years old and have been asking for a fish tank since I was 12. Well, yesterday, I got one! I just set everything up today and can't wait to get started.

My set up includes:

-46g Marineland glass bow tank
-Marineland Penguin 200 BIO-Wheel filter
-Hydor 200 watt heater
-Basic thermometer
-One large fake rock and one small one
-Around 8 fake plants
-White gravel

Today, I rinsed the gravel in a bucket and poured into into the strainer (blah blah blah), set up the plants and what not, and plugged everything in. It looks great. There are still a lot of bubbles along the glass and plants and thermometer, also the water is foggy. About 30 minutes after I had the filter first running, I poured in the specified amount of Top Fin water conditioner (about 46 mL). My temperature has not quite reached around the 80s.

I have been studying tons and tons of articles on fishless cycling and am very overwhelmed, but well prepared. I guess I am dwelling on the fact of when to add fish, what problems Ill face, etc. Tommorow I am going to start my cycle with ammonia.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on the tank (very good size for a first one), but especially for the research you've been doing in preparation for the hobby! It clearly shows in your message and I can assure you it'll pay off very quickly...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is seriously sweet. xD I am in envy, lol!! Keep us updated on how everything goes, especially when you start stocking the tank! You have any plans for fishies yet? n_n?

Congratulations on stepping into the aquarium hobby, btw. ;D
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great to see someone doing research, before jumping in with fish.

This is a great hobby, it will give you years of pleasure, if I had to give you one piece of advice (Apart from doing research etc).

Think long term, I know you are excited, and want to get cracking, but fish keeping is a long term hobby, some of the fish you choose could still be alive in 20 years time, so a few extra days or weeks spent wisely now could pay off in the long run.

Bob
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's great to see somebody ask questions first and buy fish later. now that your tank is being cycled, it's about time to start planning your stock.

Marconis
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of getting some colorful ones like tetras to start out with. Would you recommend another fish to start with? I am not going to by them until my cycle is almost completely done or is 100% done, however long that may take because I want my fish to be happy.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's good that you want your fish to be happy and don't treat them like toys to be thrown away when you get bored with them. in a 46 gallon, If you want tetras, get 1 or 2 large schools and maybe a centerpeice fish like a gourami or a peaceful cichlid species.

Blair
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)11:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your stocking plan could be 15 Rummynose Tetras, 15 Neon Tetras and a pair of Rams or maybe a Betta as your centerpiece fish. Good to see that somebody is doing research before getting fish. Wink

Blair
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice Smile . I'm going to start cycling tonight
Marconis
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how many days does it take for the water to clear up? It's cleared up a bit since yesterday but is still a bit foggy.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: