Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish that like dim lighting
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)13:56    Post subject: Fish that like dim lighting Reply with quote

What are some community fish that like low wattage light and also look their best in dim lighting?
TolkienGeek
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of Amazonian species look their best in dim light. In nature they leave in streams that are heavily shaded by the thick rain forest. Neon tetras, Glowlight Tetras, heck most tetras in general like dim light, they look washed out in bright light in fact. Others that would work are German Rams and Apistos.

Hope this helps...

"Would you eat poo?" - Said the Corydoras catfish...
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)15:55    Post subject: Fish Reply with quote

Fish that like dim lighting the best are the nocturnal fish. The fish you can use that thrive in dim light are a variety of catfish such as black lancer, black ghost or elephant nose and african butterfly. Generally most fish tolerate dim lighting and slowly adjust. The brightly coloured fish become paler. The living biota that struggles the most with dim light is the plants.

Another suggestion will get yourself a blue light tube so you can make a moon light setting on your aquascaping.

from Josh
coryfan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)2:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes definitely most of the tetras look and do better in dim light. Also the cories do much better and aren't as skiddish in a tank that isn't too bright. Don't know if there are specific community fish that prefer bright light, but it probably boils down to what you like. That is, whether or not it is important to be able to see your fish very clearly (in bright light). I have kept everything from cichlids to barbs in my low light aquarium and they all did fine.
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)9:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is something like the blind cave tetra that has no eyes from being in dark caves all the time. They would probably be well suited to a low light tank although they may bump into things.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Astyanax_jordani.php

You could see that for more.
melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are all of the small cichlids aggressive? Right now I have a 10 gallon with Danios, a female betta and some cories. My 37 gallon has lamp eye tetras, a male betta, cories, kuhlis, and a couple of platys. I like the idea of trying something new, but I don't like the idea of cichlids mauling the cories that I'm sure I will have in this tank.
mackenzie5
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.23(Tue)5:55    Post subject: dim lit tanks Reply with quote

the black ghost knife fish likes the darkness, in the day they hide in a log or the caves and at night the come out to explore, some times you may be lucky to see them out in the day. they are a beautiful fish they swim like a ribbon through the water
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: