Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Betta for Christmas
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DeviantXX
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)10:24    Post subject: Betta for Christmas Reply with quote

My aunt, who is also a fish lover, gave me a Betta for christmas, and gave me a bowl and food to house him, but I'm worried about not having a heater for the little guy and of course, being in a small area. I did though get a 10 gallon for Christmas also, and I would love to move him in after I cycle the tank and see how he takes to that. I know Betta's have personalities so its hard to pick some companions with them, but could someone recommend fish? Could platies work?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check the sticky at the top of the page? it might have some useful information.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=651

DeviantXX
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did before, only found catfishes and some mentioned rasboras
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.26(Tue)20:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep neons with my betta
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think platies, 3 or so, would be alright -- my friend keeps a peaceful aquarium with a betta and platies, and the betta does a nice job of keeping the livebearer baby population down. Give them all plenty of room, plant cover, and hiding places, and think they should coincide peacefully. However, depending on what variety of betta you have (And of course it's individual personality =3), I would still be on the watch for aggression problems (I have a crowntail that absolutely refuses to behave with any fish, even otos that he'd never even know were there x_x), but I think this would be an acceptable combination. Also, remove the betta if he shows signs of being harassed by the platies, especially fin nipping!

That said, I have to say I think the most successful combinations of fish with a betta have been neon and glo-lite tetras, simply because of how mild they are -- they are dazzling, too, when kept in larger schools! =3 Corydoras make good companions, as well, which is why they were suggested in the other thread. n_n

Good luck! =D
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! I'll try platies Very Happy
Danikins
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the betta in last.... if you put the betta in first and then add other fish, sometimes the Betta can be very agressive as he sees the other fish as invading his territory... Just to be safe.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: