Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
planting idea - plants in Pyrex cups
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)16:51    Post subject: planting idea - plants in Pyrex cups Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 55 gal tank with coated black gravel. I just read that epoxy coated gravel probably isn't best for plants that use roots.

I was thinking of using one of those small Pyrex glass bowls, and filling it with commercial laterite, and then planting rooted plants in that. That way, I'm not mixing the substrate with my black gravel. Also, I can move the plant easily.

Bascially, I'm isolating the plant inside the bowl. I'll use some java moss to hide the bowl...What do you think?

I guess I'm trying not to mix the laterite into the black gravel. Is that a good idea? Another issue - Flourite contains small amounts of copper. Will this be bad for my shrimp? This is another reason why I want to localize the plant substrate. I won't leach too much into the tank if I only have a little cup.

Thanks!
Eric
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

laterite is a friggin MESS! and flourite is great for a planted tank.

I have no experience with what you want to try so its clearly not my place to provide you with any advice.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.28(Thu)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done simular things with plants in pots/bowls. I worry about circulation so I use plastic containers and poke holes in them so water can get drained in and out. I also use flourite, not laterite. Just RINSE it very well and fill your containers slowly as you lower them into the tank or dust will be all over the place.

I've set up my tanks to keep everything removable, when I need to clean something I pull the containers and let them sit in a bucket. Yep, the water drains out - but not for long. I also pile the containers behind rocks.

Cathy
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.29(Fri)0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I didn't think about the circulation to the plants roots. I guess a pyrex cup would really stop circulation.

So I need something with holes, but not too big holes that the flourite falls through. It'll be great to get something with a LOT of pin size holes. Something that's like half hole and half material. Like a fine sive (SP) for vegetables or separating sand.

Any great ideas send them my way. I definitely don't want to mix the Flourite with my nice black gravel.

Happy New Year, Gong Hey Fac Choi
Eric
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

myhamster wrote:
So I need something with holes, but not too big holes that the flourite falls through. It'll be great to get something with a LOT of pin size holes.

You could buy a container made of thin plastic. Heat a nail in a candleflame (hold the nail with plyers). You'll be able to poke through the container yourself more easily and so create a custom amount of holes.

This is something your parents should help you with if you are a younger person. : )
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey there
I think your idea of placing the plants into containers is a good idea to start but will cause problems later on. Plants take up food in many different ways. they absorb it from the water by way of leafs or by roots. Now I have seen this myself plants will have many different rooting systems. some spread some tap and a few will ball (meaning the roots clump just bellow the plant) putting a plant into a container will later on inhibit the roots. Also pulling the plants out every time you clean is a very bad idea. Plant will go into shock if taken out of the water, this is very evident with crypts. they can stop growing for months!!! The main point imo to having a planted tank is to not have to clean the gravel. You want the mulm to build up (to a certain degree) and finaly be absorbed by the plants themselves. The only time I would recommend the container would be for lace plants or maybe onion plants. My advice for you would be to save up and put in eco complete with Seachem Flourite . it will cost you but in the long run it will be for the best.

P.s. a tank filled with just eco complete looks AMAZING also!
110 watts power compacts
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: